Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone been near SJ pier? Water cold/warm? Run over with? Haven't been since last Wednesday, was no good then but I sure ain't hearing anything lately about pier fishing at St. Joseph.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Martin, The run is close to over I would assume, ALOT of fish came in a 2 day span and the rest were sneaking in with bad weather. The kings I have been seeing are DAAAAARK yet the skein is still SUPER tight.... GO FIGURE...

Not alot of fish at the dams like there should be so they are either holding low in the rivers or hiding in the lake.

So my $.02 is its just about done. I am going to have to run up river this year and get a few with loose eggs for early steelhead ...*sigh*

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Martin, The run is close to over I would assume, ALOT of fish came in a 2 day span and the rest were sneaking in with bad weather. The kings I have been seeing are DAAAAARK yet the skein is still SUPER tight.... GO FIGURE...

Dave, I've been fishing 2 different piers and 3 different river systems. Up on the rivers all I've seen/caught are Coho and Chrome, not a single King. I'd hate to think that it's done.

Oh, by the way, there's a little difference between Martin1950 and Man1960:lol:

Martin

·
Registered
109 Posts
Went out last night and fished the south pier lake side. Water was still pretty warm. I did manage to hook up with a decent sized fish on skien at 8pm. Saw two fish landed on orange spoons.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Dave, there is a BIG difference between St. Joe and Grand Haven. We didn't see the cold water like the northern ports did.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Haven't heard of any kings out of St Jo yet...went the last couple weekends and nada. Water was around 67

30pointbuck, were the fish that you saw landed kings?
Huh? The kings have been around for almost a month now in SJ. Not in great numbers but their there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you locals for weighing in. No, I'm not Martin 1950 although I did meet him once. I've been a pier fisher for about 14 years, not there all the time but I put some time in for summer steelhead and the fall run. Seems like the last few years the fall run is not as defined as it used to be, now just a few fish here and there instead of several days of people catching lots of fish. I was at SJ September 5 and 6 early morning, water was fairly cold, 100's of boats trolling the pierheads, and very few fish caught off the pier. What gives? Been back a few times since then, lots of pier fisherman but the water was warm so I didn't see much caught then either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It has been a couple weeks since I hit the pier and it wasn't that good then. From what I have heard from just visual reports it is still looking quiet on the pier and the boats are out deep. Is anyone catching anything or are we between times waiting for the cold water?

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
the weir counts in places like manistee and the pm are still not even peeked yet. The dnr says the numbers will peek in the next week or so. The water is colder there then down south. Weve barely had any days in the 60s with water temps still in the 60s. I think the conditions are tellin them to wait and their clock is telling them go. I think it will be another trickle down year. With the cold front moving in next week with cooler rain, i think there will be another push!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was out Sat. (20th) early morning on the south pier, nobody even there. Quite a few guys on the north pier. Water was fairly warm, I left early to go early doe season hunting. I hope there is another chance when the water cools down, not going until then.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts