Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
46 year old man sitting in a ground blind hunting porcupine was attacked from behind by a bear. Was able to stab it with his hunting knife. He sustained minor injuries. Greenwood township, Clare county. The DNR is placing traps in the area.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Something definitely does not smell right. I hope there is a thorough investigation into this alleged "attack." FM

·
Registered
36,028 Posts
Maybe the porcupine migration has started in his area and he wanted to be on their migration trails when it happened.

No matter what I'm glad he survived his encounter.

·
Registered
36,028 Posts
I sat on a migration trail today and got a picture of this one sneaking by.
ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1442862886.491618.jpg

·
Registered
7,419 Posts
Porky hunting is legal but why in a blind is the guy afraid it will see him and run off before he can shoot it? I am sure that the rest of the story--------will come out soon. I wonder what kind of gun he was using. If he had a gun why didn't he get a shot or two off at the bear?

·
Registered
7,419 Posts
That's the weakest excuse for being in a blind IF he had a firearm, that I can imagine!
He could be entirely legal if so I will be porcupine hunting with my .270 out of a blind pretty soon.I will have to check the regulations to make sure that the porcupine season is open and double check the APR regulations. No killing of doe porcupines in the UP we have to save them for wolf food.

·
Premium Member
12,899 Posts
Yesterday when I called to tell my wife our grandson had gotten a nice buck she told me she had just made a kill. She put three rounds from her sig carry gun in a porcupine at the edge of our yard. She has a hated of porkies having pulled quills out of dogs, horses and cattle. She did not mention any incidences involving bears though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts