Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
You mean like the mandatory APRs they have forced on some of us? I don't need the State telling me what I should and should not be able to legally harvest. I practice my own but it should not be a restriction for all.
I bet you get really butthurt when you go fishing and have to release 10" Bass to?

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I don't need the State telling me what I should and should not be able to legally harvest.
This is a ridiculous thing to say considering that's exactly the purpose of the DNR. Whitetails almost went extinct before we starting allowing state agencies to tell us what we "should and should not be able to legally harvest".

·
Registered
319 Posts
If they want orange on the blind - that's fine for public land.

Leave me and my behavior on my private land alone. But I guess that isn't how the governor thinks - right comrades?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm not against having orange if you're on public land, but on private I'm against it. I go out of my way to conceal blinds on private land, and that's a big "look here" sign. Plus all it does is tempt trespassers. Not only that, if someone was shooting and hitting my elevated blind, there are bigger issues to think about.
Agree 100%. We own a few acres surrounded by fed forest. We do all that we can to keep our blinds hidden and secured in the interior of the property. Otherwise they seem to walk off on their own, a lot like our trail cameras do if discovered. The locals know when we are not there. We have had someone come in and poach on our property, left the carcass as a thank you. If we are now required to advertise you can bet this will only increase.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Agree 100%. We own a few acres surrounded by fed forest. We do all that we can to keep our blinds hidden and secured in the interior of the property. Otherwise they seem to walk off on their own, a lot like our trail cameras do if discovered. The locals know when we are not there. We have had someone come in and poach on our property, left the carcass as a thank you. If we are now required to advertise you can bet this will only increase.
My family owned acreage that was adjacent to state land and I had my tower blind broken into while we weren't there. They took a Sawz-All and cut the hasp to the padlock and stole a Big Buddy heater. That was before I knew the importance of concealment and the blind was in visual sight of an access trail on the public land. It was disappointing..... Lord, I pray for the soul of the person responsible of that theft, in Jesus' name, Amen.

·
Registered
9,319 Posts
I for one thank my lucky stars I’m a private land owner. With that said, I won’t be changing any of my hunting habits. Come this fall, I’ll be using the same weapons and harvesting the same amount of deer as needed, as I have the last 20 years. I know what’s best for my area tenfolds better than the Dnr. I can also assure you I won’t be painting anything in orange. Call me a rebel and take that for what it’s worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
I for one thank my lucky stars I’m a private land owner. With that said, I won’t be changing any of my hunting habits. Come this fall, I’ll be using the same weapons and harvesting the same amount of deer as needed, as I have the last 20 years. I know what’s best for my area tenfolds better than the Dnr. I can also assure you I won’t be painting anything in orange. Call me a rebel and take that for what it’s worth.

With a few less black walnut trees

·
Registered
20,898 Posts
How many hunters have actually been shot in their hunting blinds because there wasn't 144 square inches on hunter orange visible from all sides on the outside of their blinds? Are you kidding me? If it ain't broke...don't fix it. If it were up to me I would eliminate the requirement to even wear hunter orange while inside the blind.

The DNR is really pissing off a lot of hunters here in DMU122 on revoking our APRs. They took them away last year after finding only one highly suspect CWD positive deer the previous year. Several thousand more deer have been tested since 2018 with no new positives, yet they want to rescind APR's in the remainder of DMU122 which is outside of the CWD zone. Pure BS! We worked hard to jump through all the hoops of the APR proposal process and have enjoyed them since 2001 - 18 years. The original proposal passed by a 71% vote and the second vote 5 years later passed by an even wider margin, yet the DNR wants to quash the will of the hunters and landowners in our DMU.
But their keeping them in the southern CWD zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
18,282 Posts

You are a Rebel! Paint the whole blind orange. And a few of those welterweight bucks too.:lol:

I've thought about painting a favorite knife elk antler handle orange.
It's round in profile and when I reposition a deer it's resting on it rolls off and hides sometimes...
Last time I was setting in a briar patch field dressing while trying to keep an eye on coyotes near me (close!) with two dead deer down after dark. Not the best time for another Easter egg hunt...

Orange is one of the least concerns of pending regulations to me. I'm not applauding maybe , but it won't ruin my hunting.

I get the part of having a hand in what gets killed on your property.
I also get having less deer than hunters around mine.
With last year a near split of sexes and varied ages of deer.
Not a bad arrangement , if no one gets too enthused about filling tags. Everyone won't. Or we'll have to hunt elsewhere after to see deer again.
No one age or sex group can be focused on either by all hunters where I hunt.
At least successfully by all hunters.

Regulations factor. But what hunters are passing and number of tags filled is why it's still worth hunting here on private. (That could be changed fast if everyone filled A tag.)
I don't believe that restraint has ever transferred to the nearest public lands I hunted in the past. Liberal regulations won't change it either.
And a hunter in the "sweet spot" on one I used to haunt was pretty agitated after last years season. Yes he hunted elsewhere too of course.
The trend remains fewer deer each year where few deer already struggled for a foothold due to liberalized tagging options.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
I keep going back to this.... How can we effectively manage our deer herds across DMU without actually knowing how many deer we harvest each fall.. If we had hard numbers to go off it would be much better to manage anterless deer in each DMU regardless of the regulations - combo licenses, doe tags, muzzle or rifle season. My suggestion was again to have a mandatory check in - such as online, phone call or even a physical check in. Not inventing anything, happening all across the whitetail range already.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
I keep going back to this.... How can we effectively manage our deer herds across DMU without actually knowing how many deer we harvest each fall.. If we had hard numbers to go off it would be much better to manage anterless deer in each DMU regardless of the regulations - combo licenses, doe tags, muzzle or rifle season. My suggestion was again to have a mandatory check in - such as online, phone call or even a physical check in. Not inventing anything, happening all across the whitetail range already.
I agree. Many other states have been doing it for years.

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
Maybe instead of creating more laws, the DNR should concentrate on enforcing the laws that have already been created....like the bait ban in the U.P. CWD zone. Baiting was rampant last year - it looked like business as usual, yet the DNR did not write a single ticket for it.

We've already got way too much government IMO.
Putting orange on your blinds is too much government but MAPRs are not?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Putting orange on your blinds is too much government but MAPRs are not?
One of them improves the quality of hunting for a majority of hunters, the other is nanny-state, paternalism in the name of public safety.

The purpose of the DNR is to improve the quality of hunting for the majority of hunters, not protect us from ourselves with dubious regulations that have nothing to do with managing the deer herd.

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
One of them improves the quality of hunting for a majority of hunters, the other is nanny-state, paternalism in the name of public safety.

The purpose of the DNR is to improve the quality of hunting for the majority of hunters, not protect us from ourselves with dubious regulations that have nothing to do with managing the deer herd.
A patently ridiculous assumption.

·
Registered
18,282 Posts

If grading the D.N.R. on purposely improving hunting quality over the past 40 years , I'd give them a D.

Safety is a separate issue. Though in fairness , getting shot would alter a hunts quality.
Hunter orange made/makes a difference. More so in low light.

Of quality issues , the use of orange on my blind risks it's theft or visitation. That would affect my perceived hunts quality. But more , my satisfaction.
But that has little effect on deer numbers or the quality of them.

A corner I avoid if neighboring hunters are near I've debated about an orange square or circle on my stands backside when anywhere near. (Not visible when I'm not around.)
So far avoiding the area has sufficed. And by doing so improves their hunts quality.

Brushed in well blinds? An orange piece visible all around on or near it while in use would be a good idea on hunter populated/attended in any number without knowing who is setting where lands.
I'm not 100% that it should be a law.

41 - 60 of 91 Posts