Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is an article in the Detroit Free Press by Eric Sharp worth checking out. The article covers the recent survey results of the Whitetails Unlimited. The following is taken in part from the article. I view the two paragraphs as positive news for QDM

From article:

A whopping 60 percent of hunters agreed that the DNR should manage the herd for more antlered bucks, "even if it somehow restricts my harvest of bucks and means I have to harvest more antlerless deer." Another 27 percent disagreed, and 13 percent were undecided.

In addition, many hunters wrote in suggestions that the DNR try to improve the buck-to-doe ratio in places where it is skewed. Some also said the sex of the deer did not affect the quality of the hunt.

Any comments on the two paragraphs? Is this good news for QDM? For a full review of the article, check out this link.

Survey backs DNR method in deer count counthttp://www.freep.com/sports/outdoors/deer8_20010208.htm

·
666 Posts
This is definitely more good news for QDM in Michigan, and shows that support continues to increase throughout the state. Interestingly, if the undecideds were not counted, the support would have been close to 70%, which is closer to the 80% support level obtained when a Michigan Sportsman poll was run a few months ago, and the question asked was "are you in favor of deer hunting regulation changes to protect a greater number of yearling bucks in order to improve the buck/doe ratio and age distribution?"

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know I'm making progress. Three years ago I was in a border war with the 800 acre farm next door (a deer bait farm and all brown was down). It cost me some money, but I kept reproducing your QDM newsletters, Ed S. food plot tips, the new West Shore chapter letters, and the national QDM catalog and materials. Then I'd handed it to the neighbor for two years. On 2-17-01 this neighbor is attending the West Shore Chapter QDM dinner with me and the 800 acre neighbor is going QDM for a 180 degree turnaround! Bingo!

On 2-01-01, I met with the scout master/manager of a almost 5000 acre boys scout reservation. Again, I reproduced and left a pile of QDM material. The caretakers were somewhat familiar with QDM and the manager moved here from Minnesota. He agreed to let me help the scouts earn their wildlife badges. There is no money for the food plots yet, but I offered to write the grant applications for the scouts. He also said the work we do on QDM would count for volunteer work credit hours. They are now QDM! Bingo!

I've got tentative approval of several more neighbors for about another 400-500 acres. Hey, I'm only one person, its costing me money on my copier, but I'm now building on the success of one QDM site upon another. For sure the idea of QDM is catching on.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hamilton, that does sound like good news for QDM. It is always refreshing to see states finally answer the call of hunters and make a positive move.

Here in Louisiana, there has been some progress towards a Tri Parish QDM Project. It has been spearheaded by a few concerned members of the S. Louisiana Branch, a major timber company and even with the help of a couple of state biologists. It will be interesting to see how that progresses.

As for the surveys, I question them somewhat. I think the random choosing of the receipients must be flawed. I have only received a survey once in 40 years of hunting. I do think that harvest data from our WMA's and from the clubs that participate in the states Deer Mgt. Assistance Program offers some reliable data.

I don't know enough about the baiting ban, I assume that it is tied to your problem with the bovine TB. Down here it sure makes it a lot easier to harvest does. I know the baiting issue can turn into a heated debate and seems that it is most oposed in areas where the hunters have grown up with a ban.

·
666 Posts
Laturkeyhtr has a good point when mentioning that surveys can be somewhat flawed and not representative of the total population. Another factor to consider is that a majority of hunters may prefer to protect more bucks, however, when it comes to how this should be accomplished, there are several strong opinions with none having a clear majority.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts