Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
6,118 Posts
Justice Clarence Thomas wrote in the majority opinion:

"...the Second and Fourteenth Amendments protect an individual’s right to carry a handgun for self-defense outside the home... individual self-defense is ‘the central component’ of the Second Amendment right..." .

9mm Hi-POwer

·
Premium Member
12,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Justice Clarence Thomas wrote in the majority opinion:

"...the Second and Fourteenth Amendments protect an individual’s right to carry a handgun for self-defense outside the home... individual self-defense is ‘the central component’ of the Second Amendment right..." .

9mm Hi-POwer
Still wading through it. But Judge Thomas certainly can write.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Doesnt Illinois also have very strict gun laws

·
Premium Member
12,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Doesnt Illinois also have very strict gun laws
Yes and their citizens shoot pistols sideways and kill dozens of each other every week but it rarely makes the news...
Not so strict since 2013. You do have to have a FOID (Firearm Owners Identification) card, be 21, and then the usual qualifications.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
I know this has been said before.. But when everybody reads the opinions. Don't over look the dissent. Actually this goes for all of the SCOTUS decisions. Even if like now, you don't agree with it. There is alot there you can use to formulate your own discussions. ;)
I read the dissent comments regularly, and marvel at the ability for "certain" justices ability to not to see what is written right in front of their faces on the Constitution.
But, then again, that is why "certain" justices were nominated....

·
Premium Member
12,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I read the dissent comments regularly, and marvel at the ability for "certain" justices ability to not to see what is written right in front of their faces on the Constitution.
But, then again, that is why "certain" justices were nominated....
You don't have to like what they say to use it to your advantage. :cool:
I guess I should add that all of the Supreme Court Justices are put through a very intense process and pass. From that we can conclude they are both bright and tough minded. So, a certain amount of respect is due all of them. Even if they are wrong on an issue like this.

·
Banned
6,118 Posts
Still wading through it. But Judge Thomas certainly can write.
Justice Clarence Thomas writing in 2020 :
"It is extremely improbable that the Framers understood the Second Amendment to protect little more than carrying a gun from the bedroom to the kitchen."

Forehead Glasses Sky Temple Vision care

Photo courtesy of CNN

9mm Hi-Power

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
I really like this part:

"Of course, the regulatory challenges posed by firearms today are not always the same as those that preoccupied the Founders in 1791 or the Reconstruction generation in 1868. But the Constitution can, and must, apply to circumstances beyond those the Founders specifically anticipated, even though its meaning is fixed according to the understandings of those who ratified it."

He directly addresses one of the most common (and inane) arguments against the 2nd. That's good stuff.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts