Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
18,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maine - Support Deadbeats Could Lose Snowmobile, ATV Registrations

http://www.wmtw.com/politics/13380873/detail.html

05/24/07

AUGUSTA, Maine -- Maine may take another step to persuade deadbeat parents who are behind in child support to pay up.

The House of Representatives has endorsed a bill to allow the revocation of snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle registration from a person who has been certified as failing to comply with a child support order.

The bill, which still faces final House and Senate votes, also prohibits the issuance or renewal of a snowmobile and ATV registrations in those cases. It authorizes the Health and Human Services Department to review registration records in order to identify those who are in violation of child support orders.

Maine for years has denied motor vehicle, hunting, fishing, professional and other licenses to those who are behind in child support and fail to agree to payment plans.

Last year, a law was enacted to give the state access to cellular phone records of parents who owe child support money. Under the law, the state can submit lists of parents who owe money to wireless service companies, which must return the lists with information including Social Security numbers and addresses and employers of those listed.

· Registered
958 Posts
Yes, your a deadbeat if you are told to pay 50% of your gross profit in support while still having money to support your kids when you get time with them.... :dizzy:

It's all about greed, the state makes money in the form of federal funds (Title IV-D) based on how much support they collect. This has nothing to do with the children being supported (Otherwise they would track how child support is spent) and everything to do with making money for the states....

· Registered
5,665 Posts
It is an obligation to support your children and make sure they are cared after, even if that means financial assistance. HOWEVER, support should not break a man's back nor should it be at a level which is completely inconsistent with what it really costs to rear a child(ren). Child support should not be default alimony, a punishment, or a way to keep a person down. Just because a marriage failed, no matter who is at fault or not, does not justify potentially crippling an individuals ability to meet his obligation while still mainaining his or hers independence as well as caring for the needs of his or hers children when that person has them under their care. I have no love of deadbeats who do not do their part, but I am very sympathetic to those who do their part and still get the short end of the stick and cannot keep their heads above water.

· Registered
307 Posts
I agree that the original support order should not be so excessive that the person ordered to pay can't afford to live. But, if the payer decides not to pay for years then gets caught, I have no sympathy for them. My sister is dealing with her ex- after 10 years of sporadic payments at best, he is over $10,000 in arrears and has the nerve to be mad because they take 60% of his gross pay. Original payments = $75/week, now they are $150. I don't feel sorry for him. If he had been paying all along, he would be o.k. I don't agree with suspending a person's driver's license over non-payment (except in cases where the person is hiding), but I do agree that if they can't afford to support their kids, they shouldn't be able to enjoy toys that cost thousands of dollars. Pay your support, then buy your toys and enjoy them with your kids.

· Registered
3,239 Posts
And also yanking a DL can severly inhibit a person from obtaining a job. Also, I think that back support for kids that are of age, should not be as high as for kids that are still living with the other parent. My husband has 3 kids, one is ours and living with us, and the other 2 are 31 and 28 and each have 5 kids of their own. We have no problem with paying it, but the amount that they want to take is outragious. If it was for current support, fine but come on back support?
They really need to figure out a better system for child support.

· Registered
519 Posts
I think it's much better to take away fun priviledges. Lots better than taking away a DL. I really don't see a problem with someone having to catch up on back support. Someone was taking care and supporting those kids when they were minors. Why shouldn't it be paid back? My daughters' ex got behind $2000+ because he couldn't? afford $11 a week. Now he's mad because they upped it to $75 a week to catch up.

· Registered
3,319 Posts
ive had enough dealings with it its a mess......x girlfreind payed 40k a year for two kids.....

my wife now got less then 200 a month for three kids lol

they need to get a good average number and not base it totally on income..........to me any way it take a set amount to feed clothe and shelter a child......not 1000 bucks a month for some and and less then 100 for others..if you have ever looked at the formula used its a nightmare

· Registered
307 Posts
I think that anyone who is over 2 years behind on support has no right to complain about the amount taken out after the friend of court catches up to them. If someone has a hard time paying the amount set up, they can appeal to the court to have the amount lowered, especially in cases of unemployment (not voluntary), pay cuts, etc. My ex at one time was only obligated to pay 11.73/week, and she still didn't pay for over a year, then she had the audacity to complain when I requested a show-cause hearing and she had to borrow $200 to stay out of jail. I didn't feel sorry for her. I paid my support to her every week before I got custody. If they are making an effort, the court is usually pretty leniant. When the judge has to force someone to pay every six months, they are less likely to give you the benefit of the doubt.

· Registered
4,310 Posts
My sister had a dead beat husband who eventually gave up his rights to the three kids. She raised all three of them with no help from the SOB at all. It just doesn't make any sense why the person paying the support wouldn't man up and get it done. Don't give me the "oh life if tuff crap", they are you're kids. I am sure that the deadbeats aren't starving. Either way they should not only block the registrations, but take the boats, 4 wheelers, guns, and any other thing the deadbeat has and give it to the caregiver to sell.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.