Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have superstitions about waterfowling?

Mine are:

I cannot leave the house without asking my wife to "Wish us luck." She loves this when it 4:00 am. I've stopped the truck at the end of the driveway and went back in just to ask.

I also look for the constellation Orion (the hunter) and ask him for a safe hunt. Unfortunately people have died waterfowling. Especially in the St Clair Falts area.

How about everyone else?

Ken

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Nope. Not superstitious. And I don't have good luck charms. Are you sure you don't mean OCD.:)

·
Premium Member
2,372 Posts
I used to ALWAYS honk my horn at the American Flag near Bay City when traveling North on I-75. This is a long time tradition, and certain bad luck if forgotten.

I live North of there now, and seldomly pass by during hunt travel.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
I don't really think this is "superstition" but I once kissed the ground on a certain boat launch on the bay after making it back in alive one November day. We were prepared for weather that day, but as they say even the best laid plans...we were lucky.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I do have a ritual I perform before the morning hunt. If I don't do it before I get to the marsh, I usually end up doing it in the marsh at some point during the hunt. Its not as clean and easy to do in the marsh.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
My biggest is putting on my life jacket!

Others: Rabbit's foot key chain, odd numbers of decoys deployed, not touching the card, nor knowing the party number before the Harsen's draw.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
We smoke to the first bird. Usually opening day of any waterfowl season, we fire up a nice black & mild after getting everything set up. Also, whenever it gets slow we light one up and it always seems to get better, at least for a little bit. Did I mention we probably smoke too much? :D

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
First shell out of my gun for the season is one of my brother's. He died in April of '07. He had a box and a half left in his shell bag. I figure I need to hunt 35-40 years until they're gone.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Used to stand on a certain Square piece of concreat during the draw at Harsens. I really think it worked:lol:

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
I do have a ritual I perform before the morning hunt. If I don't do it before I get to the marsh, I usually end up doing it in the marsh at some point during the hunt. Its not as clean and easy to do in the marsh.
Sounds like a personal problem to me...call Dr. Phil :lol:

·
Registered
793 Posts
Not superstitions but rituals non-the-less:

Whenever the action gets slow we always say "Lil'l lull in the action!" Brings em in every time.

Whenever action gets slow- one of us always start muttering songs in our duck calls- my favorite is to do the theme song for "Sanford and Son!" We then all start to get stupid and then, all of a sudden, there are 4 greenheads hovering overhead and none of us are preparred.... :lol::lol:

Jeff- BMT

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
I pee in my brothers waders when he falls asleep. guess its not a superstion, but it sure is funny!

·
Registered
501 Posts
i grow a beard for duck season, have to have my coffee in the blind, and i never hold the card at the draw at shiawassee if i don't have to....oh also, whenever there is a lull in the action i drain the coffee from my body. birds always seem to fly with the waders at my knees:lol:

·
Registered
122 Posts
No real superstitions, but when the hunting is slow there is 4 things that always bring in the birds. Most of you know these, but in case there are a few new guys...1st - put in a nice fresh pinch of chew in, make sure the stuff is floating around good and sloppy, the birds will show up so when you call you plug the reeds up real fast. 2nd - get a good mouth full of crackers, same action applies. 3rd - get out of the boat to pee, be sure the leave the gun out of reach. 4th - possible the best, when the weather is starting to get bad and you turn on the weather radio and listen to the 30 minute "out of area" reports, jsut as your area comes up, BOOM, birds in the decoys!

·
Registered
583 Posts
No real superstitions, but when the hunting is slow there is 4 things that always bring in the birds. Most of you know these, but in case there are a few new guys...1st - put in a nice fresh pinch of chew in, make sure the stuff is floating around good and sloppy, the birds will show up so when you call you plug the reeds up real fast. 2nd - get a good mouth full of crackers, same action applies. 3rd - get out of the boat to pee, be sure the leave the gun out of reach. 4th - possible the best, when the weather is starting to get bad and you turn on the weather radio and listen to the 30 minute "out of area" reports, jsut as your area comes up, BOOM, birds in the decoys!

With the exception of the last I'd think we've shared a blind before!

#3 is why I don't piss untill we're back at the truck, although I always encourage the other guys to go take a leak or dookie:lol:, Then while they are doing that we'll disassemble their gun for them, or hide the toilet paper!:lol:

·
Registered
175 Posts
:yeahthat:

Can't wait to hide Chad's tp and pour salt in his coffee.

As far as superstitions, I am not superstitious, but saying a quick Prayer never hurt!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts