Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have no duck hunters in our family...until now. My grandson attends Ferris State U. up in Big Rapids,MI. Just this year he found a buddy who is teaching him the art of duck hunting. It really does my heart good to see him so excited about this. So it seems you need a dog or a boat. Being cheap like me he came up with this "duck boat". He actually puts this thing on top of a 2004 ford expedition. It's quite stable, doesn't start moving with the first shot, and the CO at haymarsh thought it was "very clever". It works for him anyways, just getting started and all.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I've always hunted using smaller boats...there is a misconception among new duck hunters that you need to be able to hunt from your boat. IMHO boat blinds are nice for certain setups but you will kill more ducks if you stash the boat some distance away and just try to find some cover to hide in yourself. I use my boat for hauling decoys and retrieving birds and it's hard to do better than a 10 to 12 ft pram or John boat rattlecanned a drab color. You can get these all day for $200 or less on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace. They can be strapped to the roof of your average SUV. Add in a set of our or a trolling motor and battery if your feeling fancy

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've always hunted using smaller boats...there is a misconception among new duck hunters that you need to be able to hunt from your boat. IMHO boat blinds are nice for certain setups but you will kill more ducks if you stash the boat some distance away and just try to find some cover to hide in yourself. I use my boat for hauling decoys and retrieving birds and it's hard to do better than a 10 to 12 ft pram or John boat rattlecanned a drab color. You can get these all day for $200 or less on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace. They can be strapped to the roof of your average SUV. Add in a set of our or a trolling motor and battery if your feeling fancy
Just remember that if you put on a motor you have register and number it

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Wannabeup- That is a very good idea!! Plus young enough to throw it on top of the Expedition! All he has to do is take Grandpa one time and its over!! You will be shopping it up- boat - decoys and a whole new ADDICTION!!! Nothing you can do about it!!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wannabeup- That is a very good idea!! Plus young enough to throw it on top of the Expedition! All he has to do is take Grandpa one time and its over!! You will be shopping it up- boat - decoys and a whole new ADDICTION!!! Nothing you can do about it!!
Well you pegged me pretty good! I just sold a three wheeler and do have some jingle in my pocket. Grandson is using my old 870 wingmaster and he has a bday coming up in a few weeks. He did mention his decoys were borrowed. And oh yes, those goose decoys are really expensive Grandpa. Borrowed my coleman battery lantern to go out that morning. Etc, etc, etc. My problem is I have 4 other grandkids and I try to keep things even. This is gonna get expensive.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I saw your grandsons rig on top of his vehicle as I left the parking lot this morning. Neat idea and for Haymarsh a good one. As either paddles or a mud motor is all that works in that place. Also tell him not to trust any ice out there. That place is full of springs and you will go through it. Steve

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stop him and say hi next time. I'm not biased by any means but he is a wonderful young man. Just starting out and can use any pointers you have.

Reactions: roger15055

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I was just parked near him. If I see him Ill say hi. I've been known to stop in a stairwell to talk waterfowl hunting before. Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts