Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone heading to Grand Rapids and going to the super salmon seminar? I went a few years ago and it was full of good information. I am planning on attending unless I spend to much at the booths.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is some more information. It's at the sport, fish and RV show at the Devos Center.

Super Salmon Clinic Saturday Only - 2:30 to 4:30 p.m. - Conducted by Dave Engel and Bill Bale of Best Chance Promotions. These two superstars of big lake Tournaments will share their special techniques and experience garnered over the last 20 years as the top money winning fishing boat on all of the Great Lakes. Whether its long lining lead core, maximizing Dipsey results, getting the most out of your electronics or selecting your tackle, time spent here will assuredly improve next years catch. A limited number of Attendees will pay a fee of $20 for "class materials" and the presentation. Included in class materials will be a "goody bag" loaded with their sponsors' equipment and plenty of time will be set aside for question and answer. The Super Salmon Clinic was one of the most popular features at last year's show. Don't miss out!

·
Registered
677 Posts
I'll be there. Sounds pretty cool. Especialy that "goodie bag." :) Do you think there will be much of a line for tickets? I hear it's pretty popular and they only sell so many tickets. :confused:

·
Banned
10,217 Posts
Those two really know their stuff, we got a small dose of their expertese at last weeks BC steelheaders meeting. Don't make the same mistake as me....take a notebook and pencil.Get a seat that is close to them so you can see and hear them. You will have info overload!;)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes it was a excellent seminar for the $20. They gave everyone about $50 worth of tackle that I will be catching fish on and I took 4 pages of notes. Fishmeister What were some of the tips that you picked up? Here are a few that I took note of.

-Until the lake temps are 38 degrees+- stay in the warmer river water
-Side arm fish caught on dipsey divers
-Run directly into the current
-After morning bite is over fish deep in the colder waters
-If fishing deeper than 60' use something that glows
-Sounds like everyone should try Michigan City in the Spring for the coho's, use thinfins and orange 00 dodger and peanut flies ( GR & BL)
-When the east wind brings colder water fish close to shore even in the middle of Summer, the fish will be there.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Yea, it was great! I thought it was cool how he told what his best colors were. I would list some more of the things I learned, but they would take up WAY too much space. Very informative.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Yes it was a very good seminar! The goody bag musta been worth 40-50 bucks!( I bought an extra!) Not to mention the free rod they gave me!
But even without the goodies the seminar was worth every penny! Those guys know their stuff!!!
Of course they convinced me top spend WAYYY more than I planned to after the show. Too many things on my boat, but too many things I still need I guess.
Auditor

·
Registered
472 Posts
I also liked the note he made about how they have been catching a lot more fish further inside the dark water line since the stickle back minnnow arrived in the lakes. Auditor, congrats on the free rod, did you get the downrigger rod or the wire dipsey rod?

The tip on the Michigan City fishing was great advice as was the caution about how thick the flies get. Better bring your Canadian bug suit with.

The goody bag was great. I also stopped by the Magna Dyne booth and talked wth them for a while to thank them for contributing to CAZNIK's treasure chest for the tournament prize. They were extremely friendly and a pleasure to talk to.

·
Registered
472 Posts
That must have been you on the far right at the end of the row. If I had know I would have introduced myself. I asked the wacky question about pulling a spinner bait for vibration. Which is something I'm going to try again this year because it worked last year.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Yeah that was me. And yes I remember you.
I was asking all of the questions trying to compare their techniques to those I heard at the Offshore Challenge seminar in GH. I think they assumed that I had never fished before. (They were right. All I do is wash lures).
I just tried to ask questions that would apply to the novice and weekend warrior like us. Sure wish I could afford to stock up with all new Shimanos! They are sweet!

Auditor

1 - 14 of 14 Posts