Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does everyone feel about Super Mag shells?

If you have a spread of 2-3 dozen full bodies, dozen silo's, and dozen lifesize shells, does it hurt to set out those 42" Super Mags?

I don't think it looks natural having those monsters in the spread but you guys have a lot more knowledge than I do. Yes I use that term Knowledge losely :lol:

Oh good luck to everyone this saturday.

BR

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Does it hurt? probably not.

Would I want to use them? - probaly not!

and i don't have a great reason why other than I just don't like the way it looks out there and the body styles/profiles just don't look realistic when you compare it to the same price alternatives. (and by your post, you sense the same thing!)

I guess the other evidence is that all the guys I know that used to run "B-52's" have all sold them off. Plus, they're space pigs!

where I did (and still do) like them is using shells as cover hunting winter wheat fields. head rest for one and another to cover the legs.
as a matter of fact, I keep only 6 Large mag 36's just for this occassion - and it's the only time they get to go for a ride in the morning!

let's say 6 b-52's cost $100-120. I'd rather see you get movement throughout your spread with lifesize motion dekes (like Higdon stackables 6/$100). I think movement has greater drawing power than size.

just my .02

·
Registered
270 Posts
im with branta on this one. we have used those monsters plenty of times, and have shot plenty of birds with them in the spread, but i dont like em, just cause they look goofy to me. guys that use em say that birds have no depth perseption, so they cant really tell how big they are, and granted, we have had birds land in the dekes and walk around in the big shells, but i just think they dont look right.
if you have some, and are thinking about useing them for the late season to get you deke numbers up, i would say go for it. if the birds flare, personally its the first thing i would change. if you are asking if you should go out and buy some, i would say spend the money on something else (again, like branta said, motion is always good.)
either way, good luck.
~chris~

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Motion....

For less then a buck, you can put some KILLER motion in your spread by taking some 18" wooden dowels and some small BLACK Balloons. Blow up about a dozen attach them to the top of the dowel. Go through your spread and put a couple here, a couple there. Don't put them together just spread them out. 4 dozen goose decoys and a dozen of the poor mans motion "decoys" and you can't believe the motion, in even a 2-4 mph wind.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback - - you kinda just reasured me of how I feel. We have 2 dozen of those mosters and used to use them before we had finisher blinds. But they have just collected dust the last few years.

We have a field we will be hunting tomorrow AM that has about 200+ birds in it for the last few days. BUT a 1/2 mile away there is about 1000+ geese using a number of different fields. I want our spread to be visable but not look goofy.

Oh there will be other hunters in those fields as well, lots of geese but lots of hunters.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts