Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another season has come and gone for the most part. Just wondering what makes for a great season in your mind? When I was younger it meant shooting birds period. Now I find myself just as thrilled to watch someone else, especially a youngster bag his first birds, or just to be able to see them in the air and over the dekes. Even if its after shooting time.What makes it a great season for you?

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Last year I shot my first duck on the last day of the regular season and was hooked so this year i hunted ducks alot more than deer. I ended up with 58 ducks and 30 geese which was totally awesome and shot almost every species of duck around, so I thought it was an excellent season! But what I thought made a good season getting some of my buddies out and doing some videoing of them blasting some ducks and missing some ducks!:p i think that working birds with a call and dekes is what got me hooked and we those first birds cupped up this season to the dekes and calls it was a great season already.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
For me its EVERY single part of it. Its getting everything ready, scouting, picking the right spot for the right day, proper setup (trying different setups), shooting skill, enjoying the people you are hunting with, enjoying the way the birds not only decoy but the way they respond to the decoys and calling. A good dog retrieving and finally the eating of the game. I enjoy it all. Right down to cleaning my gun afterward. :D

I really like an ad beretta has out. It is the closest I have ever heard a person put duck hunting into words. I don't remember the whole thing but it went something like:

"There is a moment between the shot and the echo, in this moment nothing moves, not the shot or the bird. Its this moment that you realize that the only thing that has been moved "is you"

The only thing I don't like is waiting for next season.....;)

I like this last photo its fitting for me. The end to my story book season. It couldn't have gotten any better......

Kevlar

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Kevlar said:
For me its EVERY single part of it.....Kevlar
:yeahthat:

Couldn't agree more than what Kevlar said. For me, it has absolutely nothing to do anymore with how many birds I take home. Just seeing birds makes it worthwhile, and if I want to see tons of birds, I can either go to North Dakota :evil: or talk Shiawassee Kid into taking me to his secret spots! :lol:

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
For me its just being out there, the smell, the sounds and the sights. Everything else is just a bonus.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Well first I want to say I am glad you guys are done down there. Of course I am just kiding but man we froze up on the 16th of november and I moved her on the 5th so I missed alot of the season. Its been hard to read the reports from down south.

For me what made the season was watching my wife enter her first real season of duck hunting. She strugled through early teal season in ohio just like I did. We had to deal with trespassers that burned out a great spot during the goose season ( we were saving it for ducks). Her first duck a green wing teal on "the teal pond" opening morning. The sky was thick with teals. Here is a picture notice there is no seat she is sitting in the mud. We had to move fast and no seats were taken with us :lol:

She then started hunting in the later season with me here in the UP. Skim ice and all.
She pulled up on a blue bill and missed. She could not believe she missed it. :lol: I laughed so hard. She thought for sure she had it.

I watched ducks decoy to my hand carved blocks this year. Unless you have exsperianced that there is no way to put into words shooting a late season full color blue bill over your own decoys.

This season was to short and didnt hunt much but now I live were I can hunt all the time..

It was a great season. I also got to take my son out on a hunt and he asks to go ever time he notices me getting gear together. Next season he will be 5 and I will take him ALOT more.

·
Registered
612 Posts
just being there!!! family,friends,the outdoor's that's what makes a great season.(killing a few ducks helps to)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Amen to what each of you said. I myself love everything involved with our sport. From prepping dekes for early goose, Duck season, Regular Goose, and late goose. IT is all like one big party for me. The icing on the cake this season will not be the limit of Mallards on the 2nd to last day but listening to my sons anticipation of his first Duck?Goose hunt on the first of January. I must have 5 or 6 guys watching the ducks and geese and the water up to the short January season. Just anxious for next year already as it will be my boys first full season. although he plays travel hockey so he may get out next year as much as he did this year....... Twice !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts