Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Which is your preference for being on the water?

• Sunrise

Votes: 33 57.9%
  • Sunset

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • No Preference - I just want to be out there

Votes: 13 22.8%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Which is your preference for being on the water? Don't forget to cast your vote in the poll above.

Nothing like seeing the sunrise as you finish setting lines....

Of course...a triple header is a nice way to start the day...

But sunsets are great while waiting for the "Bewitching Hour" when all heck breaks loose...

Night time photos of the catch are OK...

But I think day time pics are better...

Please feel free to post up some of your favorite photos.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
I voted sunrise but to be honest on Lake Huron usually its neither. More bankers hours fishing. Without an early king bite I catch more fish in the 10- 2 range than any other time. That said I prefer morning to evening just because it usually gives me more time to look around for fish.

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have more energy at sunrise, but I have caught a lot more big fish at sunset—no comparison in my narrrow experience.
We have had many great catches at both sunrise and sunset, although I have fished far more sunrises than sunsets. There have been times when we didn't dare set more than 4 or 5 lines rather than the usual 12-14 to start out with because we didn't want to have too many fish on at the same time. We would have spare rods and baits set up to put down while somebody else was getting the fish out of the net and into the cooler.

The most we ever had on at the same time - 7 big kings with only 4 charter guests on board. They ended up boating 6 of them. Total chaos...but lots of fun! Also had a twilight bite when the kings didn't stop biting until we had every line in the boat and fish all over the deck. We had caught fish on every bait that we had in the water! Fun times!

·
Premium Member
10,018 Posts
Great pictures frank.

Reactions: Wild Thing

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Great pictures frank.
Thanks Kevin - I'll pass that along to Elaine as I think she took all or at least, most of them.

Haven't done much fishing since we sold the business but I got a chance to go out with friends a few days ago on Keweenaw Bay and we got some fish. A nice mixed bag - One small King, a few Browns (thank you Wisconsin DNR), a few Steelhead and a bunch of Lakers. Thinking about it this morning got me looking at this forum.

Grilled a Brown Trout fillet a couple days ago...

Smoked up some Lake Trout yesterday...

Working on some Buffalo Jerky today...

Actually....it is already curing in the fridge as we speak. It is a pretty good sized batch. I am either going to have to use 2 smokers or put some in the oven. The kind of problems you like to have though 😀

BTW - This was all mid-day fishing so no pretty pics of sunrises or sunsets :(

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I am up at 4 am everyday, so I like the early fishing.. Like to have a nice buzz for the sun set

Humm, Brownies' with the sunrise and the fish are on!

Reactions: Wild Thing

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
We also used to minimize spreads in the pre dawn or post sunset darkness. Wouldnt dare run a bunch of lead or copper becuase it was enough work with the riggers and dipsys constantly firing. Then once you could see the sun wed start to deploy the junk and thatd take off too. So many days i remember being boxed by 7am and feeling somewhat over stimulated from the constant action. I remember needing one more fish for a limit on occasion so we left one rod down only and sure enough it fires. Many days wed run only 4 -6 rods. But in those days getting a fish over 20 lbs was rare and the thought of a 30 lber was only a dream. Times have changed. Spend alot less time pulling bones and trimming fillets now then back then thats for sure.

Morning probably rule for numbers and afternoons for size now a days. But on a full moon it seems the early morning bite is horrible.

If the fish are dark and prespawn stagers i swear those fish are preprogramed to not bite anything if the sun is visible.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Hard to beat hi-mountain for jerky. That being said I like the sunrise for fishing. Haven't had many chances for them but I prefer the morning over sunset.

·
Premium Member
10,018 Posts
Thanks Kevin - I'll pass that along to Elaine as I think she too all or at least, most of them.

Haven't done much fishing since we sold the business but I got a chance to go out with friends a few days ago on Keweenaw Bay and we got some fish. A nice mixed bag - One small King, a few Browns (thank you Wisconsin DNR), a few Steelhead and a bunch of Lakers. Thinking about it this morning got me looking at this forum.

Grilled a Brown Trout fillet a couple days ago...

View attachment 771484

Smoked up some Lake Trout yesterday...

View attachment 771485

Working on some Buffalo Jerky today...

View attachment 771486

Actually....it is already curing in the fridge as we speak. It is a pretty good sized batch. I am either going to have to use 2 smokers or put some in the oven. The kind of problems you like to have though 😀

View attachment 771487

View attachment 771488

BTW - This was all mid-day fishing so no pretty pics of sunrises or sunsets :(
Looks like some good stuff there frank. Man I love eatting steelhead. It’s a close second to walleye for me Yeah the problems you face today. Haha

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
While I chose anytime, the early morning IS the best in my opinion. Not in terms of catching fish but I'm terms of lack of fisherman. The lake is always almost all mine in the early hours. Seems many more guys fish evenings after work on weekdays. It's obvious why. I don't fish weekends being retired so mornings provide the best experience all around.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Sunrise for sure. Saw two off your old boat Wild Thing helping the new owner with charters Wednesday and Thursday. She still runs and looks great

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sunrise for sure. Saw two off your old boat Wild Thing helping the new owner with charters Wednesday and Thursday. She still runs and looks great
Thanks Kirk - Can't say I don't miss her...because I do. I bought the boat when it was a Plain Jane 4 year old cruising boat. Within 2-3 years I had turned it into a Great Lakes fishing machine with a lot of custom touch added to it. Happy to hear that Steve is taking good care of her...

I originally rigged it with Fishlander Riggers from Mike Steffes...

but a few years later I swapped them out with Cannon Digitrolls...

Reactions: Fish Hook

·
Registered
13 Posts
I chose sunrise at it seems to be more consistent for fish. Evenings seem to be amazing or really slow. That and like someone else said mornings are nice because it gives you the feeling of more time to figure out what they want for the day. The more I think about it though maybe I should have picked anytime as a couple of my most memorable trips were at night. although maybe because my kids were with me then and caught some nice fish. They aren't crazy about the early mornings.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts