Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dog woke up early, so I got up with her and decided to sneak out for a little fishing. Went to the north channel and drifted awhile jigging 2 poles. Got one fish on a vampire, and then when I picked up the other rod got hit on a chartreuse leech. Started the drift again where the fish were and promptly hooked into a sturgeon which took me 70 minutes to get alongside the boat, including going on opposite sides of a buoy and at one point having to reach the rod between the bow and trolling motor shaft because it got wrapped around. Again this time, I marked a visitor during the fight and had a couple others jump in the area. When I had it at the surface and I left the bow to see what I could do with it, it made one more run and snapped the stinger. I can't believe it was only hooked by the stinger the whole time, after the quick release I got the jig and plastic back intact. Looking at the pic's it looks like it was likely snagged in the snout rather than the mouth.

Wtth most of my fishing time gone I made one more pass and immediately got a 16 in eye that felt like a 5 inch perch.

One of these times I'll get the strugeon in the boat, but don't think I would have been able to wrestle him in by myself regardless so the quick auto release was probably for the best.

· Registered
1,294 Posts
Always nice when you can get them up to the surface and get a good look at what you have on the other end of the line. Terrible when you fight the fish for a long time and it gets off before you ever get to see it :rolleyes:.
I hate it when I fight a huge fish and I lose it before I even get to see what it was or how big it was. It has happened to me a few times thru the years.

· Registered
1,294 Posts
Still have one that haunts me 5 years later !
Yep. I have one that I think back about every now & then, almost every time I am fighting a big fish and hoping that I get to see it at least. I will never know what it was, but I think it was a ski or sturgeon in the N. Channel by Decker's a few years ago. Or it could have been a steelhead, as I did land a pretty good sized one that same day in the same location. Don't know if they hunt in packs or not. LOL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.