Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trout invited us to join him on a Sunday hike and the boys and I were thrilled to join him. Chromium missed out on the fun since he's Up North. What a fantastic hike in the Port Huron SGA!!! The weather was wonderful and we all had such a great time, to say the least. :D

The kids shocked me with their stamina. Much of the hike was up and down some serious hills/ ravines. Trout kept close tabs on everyone, making sure they were doing fine and all still accounted for, lol, but there was no slowing them down today. They loved it!

We investigated streams, rivers, ponds, dry creek beds, rotten logs, mud, high ground, mud, low ground, mud you name it! Trout taught us so much about plant life and creatures that inhabit the area. Learned a ton about mushrooms and fungi, other plants including ramp which is in the onion family(one of the kids took a healthy bite, nice breath:rolleyes: ;) ), medicinal plants, etc.

I think our favorite was searching for salamanders. They are so cool! We saw all kinds of frogs. Trout has the an unbelievable talent of spotting a frog that is smaller than an inch on a trail loaded with stuff to see! Saw an osprey, beaver dam, swan, egrets, fish;) , signs of deer and turkeys, a hummingbird moth, a hummingbird, all kinds of insects(including bees, one got Warren under the eye), snake, etc. Everywhere you turned, there was something new to see. The key was to stop and take the time to look.

We hiked for about 3 hours with a short break for lunch. I thought the kids would zonk right out on the way home, but NOPE! All they could do was talk about how cool the hike was. Thanks Kirk! We had soooo much fun!:D :)

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are some pics. There are more pics titled "Hike" in my gallery.

Here is a picture of us going through a swamp. If I remember correctly, this was soon after the stinging nettle challenge, LOL!

This is a pond where we saw all kinds off cool things. This is where we saw the osprey and beaver dam.

Here is a bee busy at a water lily.

The kids made many attempts to catch these guys but they were just too quick!

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These salamanders were the neatest things. Trout explained how the colors could vary even though they were the same type of salamander.

We stopped for a lunch break at what basically could be best described as a cliff. It was a grogeous view but a long way down!:eek: Trout said how beautiful it is in the fall and I can only imagine.

Here's the hiking crew enjoying some snacks.

·
Say My Name.
14,731 Posts
Beautiful thread. The Port Huron SGA looks like a very special place.

Nice work, men (and ladies). Looks like all had a tremendous day.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Great post Sara!

Kirk, isn't that a red newt? I use to catch them by the cabin and they'd have a red belly.....very small like the one in the pic...a local told me they were newts.

Our bonus finds were always the larger tiger salamaders...black with yellow spots.

It's great to see kids out enjoying the outdoors....

kirk, I'm dropping my monsters off at your house tonight and will pick them up sometime in January....lol

Marc

·
Super Moderator
9,775 Posts
kirk, I'm dropping my monsters off at your house tonight and will pick them up sometime in January....lol
Me too...:D :D :D

I saw your pictures in the gallery the other night. Looks like a great trip. Those boys are going to be so knowledgeable between John, Sarah and Kirk. You guys are great parents and are raising excellent stewards for the outdoors. If we had more kids with that kind of interest we wouldn't need to worry about the future of our outdoor pursuits.

Great job Kirk on sharing your outdoor knowledge.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by trout
I still can't believe those boys held up so well!
They all did great and Warren shocked me! He is 4 1/2 and is the one who can get whiney after a long day. Well, he didn't that day, lol. He was on a mission, he had something to prove(actually I think he admired the heck out of Kirk and was determined to be a tough guy!;) .) He took numerous tree root trip and falls(Kyle quit couting at around 12), had a slight ravine accident(could have been much worse, lol) but kept on going, and crossed many small creeks by walking across logs with no assistance even though I offered. His phrase of the day was, "I'm OK!." LOL! Where's my kid that always said, "Pick me up?";)

We are still reveling about the hike! The kids soaked so much up that day, they can't wait for more. So close to home, so much to see! Trout, you are quite the eye opener!

Farmlegend, if you are ever in the SGA area, stop and check it out. Very scenic!

Kingfisher and Gunrod, you guys have always set great examples of how to get your kids and their friends out into the great outdoors! TY!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I didn't think I would make it.
:D ;) :p

Thanks a bunch for taking us on that Sunday hike!! I realy liked it i have never been on a hike that cool and fun before.:eek:
Someday we will have to go on a hike like that again. Warren did better thanI thout. I would of thout he would be tired for 1/2 the time!! :D
I really thout that eating on that cliff was fun. I was only tired for the last few minutes, but I still made it!!!!:cool:
I hope that pretty soon we can go on a nother hike with my dad and you!!!!!!;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts