Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woke up the wife and kids at 5am. In most households that might be a sketchy move but they were all excited to get out for some fishing.
Started the day jigging lower end along the west edge in 12-17 fow chart head natural minnow fin-s tail tipped with a minnow got all 7 eyes between 630 and 830. Fish scattered after that with boats flying over the pod of fish we found. We had made 4 short drifts in about a 200 yard stretch where we found fish. 2 on first drift, 3 on 2nd plus a smallie, and 3 on 3rd, wife hooked one right in the butt. We tried a few other areas that were less crowded but couldnt find anymore biters so we moved on to airport bay for some pike/bass fishin. Wife got 1 bass and a pike there, I had 1 pike hit me 4 times in 2 casts but couldnt get the hook to stick. That clear water there right now makes it a riot seeing those toothy monsters attack your stuff. We all got kinda wore out and tired by noon so we cruised over to JPs at humbug for lunch. Cool place to stop and have a nice lunch on the water.
Went back out and tried airport and Gib for perch but had no luck so went back after pike and bass for the afternoon. Thats when things really got fun. We found warmer stained water and ended up boating about 16 pike and about 10 bass. Pike size range was 25"-35" mostly medium to small bass, biggest being a 17" smallie and 16" fat momma bucket mouth. My 6 year daughter caught her first detroit river smallie on a dropshot, 16" all on her own. I am proud to admit that the wife did out fish me. She got 5 of the 7 eyes, the big fish of the day, (35" pike) and the multispecies card with walleye, smallmouth, largemouth and pike. None of her fish were small either. My older daughter was the photographer/editor. Absolutely great day, 12 hours on the water with my 3 favorite people on this planet.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What a killer day great report and pics
And yes doing the 5am thing with the family is always a sketchy move your a brave man but damn was it a great move that day
Thanks for sharing
Nothing new for this group of gals I got. We've been doing this stuff for years now. Me and the better half started fishing before we could even go to school. Our kids are no different. My 6 year old Ellie with the smallie there has caught even bigger ones on the huron river casting her own crank baits with her own rod, I think her biggest is 18". My 8 year old Emma isn't quite the natural angler as her sister but she still catches fish on her own too. They both jump at the chance to go fishing with us. Nobody gets a picture with a fish they didn't catch themselves either. Im very proud of my girls.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My greatest memories fishing were in row boats with a 9.9 on the back, you're doing it right sir!
Thanks.
The 4 of us boated a lot of fish in that little 1976 sears with a 1970 9.2hp seaking (handmedown from grandpa to my dad then to me). The outboard is no longer on it, we wore it out. Its been replaced by a minn kota endura with 2 batteries and thats the wifes boat now. We got a 2012 Lowe 160 tiller in October. Its seen water just about every weekend since then except for when there was ice. For those 6 weeks we pulled out the shanty. There is no offseason for us. Plus we have 4 kayaks.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Nothing new for this group of gals I got. We've been doing this stuff for years now. Me and the better half started fishing before we could even go to school. Our kids are no different. My 6 year old Ellie with the smallie there has caught even bigger ones on the huron river casting her own crank baits with her own rod, I think her biggest is 18". My 8 year old Emma isn't quite the natural angler as her sister but she still catches fish on her own too. They both jump at the chance to go fishing with us. Nobody gets a picture with a fish they didn't catch themselves either. Im very proud of my girls. View attachment 763222 View attachment 763223 View attachment 763225 View attachment 763227
Thats awesome, I know grown azz men who cant/wont hold a fish like that! Way to go family!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts