Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left Marina Around 7 0 Clock Went Straight Out Into 27 Fow Set Planner Boards Line Out 75 Feet With Copper Spoons And Down Riggers Straight Down Within No Time The Three Of Us Were On Fish Hour And A Half We Were Done Lost A Few My Brother Caught A 6 And Ahalf Pounder Thru It Back Other Than That What A Nice Day Talk To You All Later Big Minnow

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
27' is where I was fishing near the Island...hmmmmmmmm......Mack

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Couldnt get the spoons down deep enough before the silvers and sheeps hit them. Lost 2 big eyes straight out of the Raisin. Lots of fish, not the ones I was looking for.

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
Hey Bruce were ya running those Moonshines?.....Mack

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
We were in 27' also straight out from Brest Bay Marina also....and deep into Ohio waters, alot of people just don't realize how close that border is! 15 keeper walleyes, 2 throw-backs, 6 sheep and countless silvers rounded out the day. Spoons and divers caught the most with reef runner deep little rippers also contributing some real nice fish. Fish averaged 20", oh we also caught 5 perch on the spoons as well.

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
bigrackmack said:
Hey Bruce were ya running those Moonshines?.....Mack
Yep picked up 3 more from Matthews and the results were alarming:

Moonshine: 32 silver bass
Scorporion: 8 silver bass

·
Registered
41 Posts
we also went out of Bolles Sunday and ran out to 28 fow in Ohio water. We ran 6 dipseys on the bottom and picked up our 3 man limt in about 2 1/2 hours. Size was 17 to 25 inches. 3 throwbacks, 8 white Bass and 1 Sheep. We caught most of the fish in one small pod area. We just kept doing a figure eight move. Ran Stingers and Moonshine spoons. One was not better than the other, all colors and both types of spoons all produced fish. Speed was round 2.5 on the GPS. Had one hit so hard that it bent the clasp on the line attached to the dipsey and I lost the whole rig.

Did not know if we should keep 18 fish or 15 fish. We kept 15, just to play it safe. Now I know that you can keep 18 if you do not stop to fish in MI water on the way back to Bolles!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Left Toledo Beach about 10 am. Checked the dumping grounds (17ft - last weeks hot spot), and the channel edge (26 fow) with nothing to show for it.

Beautiful day for a run so off we go to the NW side of West Sister Island. (Had to be 300 boats out there :yikes: ) We pulled spoons behind divers and mini-discs in 29-30 fow of water. 3 man OH limits in about 3 hours. It was pretty steady fishing once we got out there. Fish were slightly larger then I have been catching, so it was worth the drive. By the end of the day everything we ran was a copper-backed, and the pinks, purples and yellows did best.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Fished NW of WS as well. Same method as others have stated. 24 fish in around 2.5 hours with another 12 lost or thrown back. Great day to be on the water. I just hope they are still around that area next weekend, or closer! Reminds me of two years ago when we had to run all the way to G-Can to catch fish!

JD

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Spider said:
we also went out of Bolles Sunday and ran out to 28 fow in Ohio water. We ran 6 dipseys on the bottom and picked up our 3 man limt in about 2 1/2 hours. Size was 17 to 25 inches. 3 throwbacks, 8 white Bass and 1 Sheep. We caught most of the fish in one small pod area. We just kept doing a figure eight move. Ran Stingers and Moonshine spoons. One was not better than the other, all colors and both types of spoons all produced fish. Speed was round 2.5 on the GPS. Had one hit so hard that it bent the clasp on the line attached to the dipsey and I lost the whole rig.

Did not know if we should keep 18 fish or 15 fish. We kept 15, just to play it safe. Now I know that you can keep 18 if you do not stop to fish in MI water on the way back to Bolles!
Great report... What is your 6 dipsey spread, how do you spread them out? The reason is that although I have been running lead with inline recently on my outside spread I still like the control dipsey's give you to get to a paticular depth when you find them. and especially since they are in Ohio waters and deep. hanks again for the report and good fishing!

By the way Reel Naughty nice to meet you and congratulations. I fished Sterling and there were Mayflys everwhere in 22-24 but I was marking a ton of fish in Dirtry water.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Nice to meet you as well. And I will try to answer the 6 dipsy spread question while I am typing;

You run 3 dipsys per side, settings 1, 2, 3. When you are first setting them up run them out in reverse order, 3 --> 2 --> 1. That is the easy part. After that is when it can take some practice. If number 2 or number 3 go we use the "park" method to put them back out. If the port number 2 goes off, let it back out on the Starboard side at a fast enough rate to where it heads out, but doesnt get tangled. After you exceed the distance of the number 1 settings then begin to slow the rate at which you let line out and put the rod back into the orginal holder and slowly let line out until you reach the desired distance back.

It sounds tough, but this is the way we do it when running a 6 dipsy spread.

JD

·
Registered
41 Posts
We run exactly the way Reel Naughty explained it when we run 6 big #1dipsy divers that are all the same size. Last Sunday I ran two Big John mini disks straight out the back set on one, out 90 - 100 feet. The next set of rods on each side were the big size #1 dipsys set on 1, out 45 feet. The outside set of rods were #0 dipseys set on 3, out 70 feet. I tried to run them all within 5 feet off the bottom. When one fires, it is usally easy to put it right back in place.

·
Registered
896 Posts
i run 3 big jon minis per side. 2 set on 0 back 65/80 ft, 2 set at 1 1/2 back 90/110 ft, and 2 set at 3 back 110/150 ft. when i have to reset the out side one i start it off between the two lines in the water and thumb the spool out reel slow to keep it from tangling with the low diver. i do the same with the outside rod, naturally i start it off on the outside of the two lines in the water. of course i change the distance back run them according to water depth, that's the program i used on sunday in 30 ft of water.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts