Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like CC, it was tough going on Sunday.

And just when you "think" you know your quarry, when/where they'll fly... they give you a surprise.

didn't think anything would happen until 11:00-3:00 so we got a late start. You know, no sense in standing out there freezing your arse off for nothing.

well, when we got out to the waterhole, geese were already in the air and heading BACK to the roost! We picked off some stragglers, but I feel if we were set up earlier, we might have crunched them good. (as it was it took three of us over 1/2 hour to finish "the hole" and push the ice pieces under.

here's a couple of pics for ya.

the set up...

I know Just Ducky was probably chasing Perch, but like I said "you get out of it what you put into it" - check this out...

Notice anything interesting about this bird. It's not as obvious as you think- look very, very closely. I'll post the answer Tomorrow

made me "giddier than a little school girl"!!

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
one other comment: shot a couple of Migrants on saturday, but mostly big locals.

Sunday: all migrators

(I figured with the storms that the majority would've bugged out by now.)

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
didn't last long. yup, double banded. don't have the info yet.

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My first in 25 yrs of waterfowling! Buddy says that most likely, it's a SW Ontario bird - I guess they do alot of tarsal banding along Lake Erie (so I'm told - We'll find out soon enough!)

interesting thing from this weekend. Locals seemed to want just reassuring "cluck, moan, cluck moan". Any fancy stuff and they peeled out.

just the opposite on sunday- as soon as I let off the gas, they began to lose interest. step on it again and they just locked in, "carrying luggage" all the way into the hole.

CC, did you find the same thing?

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I'm with you CC, not sure I want to share a blind with someone who's doin' a lot of moanin'. :eek: ;) :D unless the gender is correct. :)

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Olt 750?

I suppose a Model 12 and "brown camo" too?

Old school.... I love it! :p

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Uh, brown camo? Model 12?

That is me in brown camo. My bro next to has the model 12. I don't see it in the pic.

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's it! Totally "OLD SCHOOL "!!!:D

"Gortex? we don't need no stink'n Gore-tex!"

Tell me the guy on the left is wearing the old "bees Wax" canvas jacket and without a doubt... the picture would be complete!!

(love the stand up "willow" blinds! those blend right in, don't they? ;) nothin' like a big clump of willow out on a mud flat!

(you know I'm only kidding around! :p )

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I don't know if that canvas ever had bees wax. I thought that was brown camo. Anyway, it used to be brown. So it could have had bees wax. My dad chucked it when he bought gortex and I grabbed it out of the garbage. First time I hunted this spot I could not believe you could hunt geese out of willow blinds. It is an opening day spot. Our real blind is the one in the distance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts