Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty set on a summit now just need to decide between the viper or openshot. Any opinions? I know they are different styles but can anyone help me decide. Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
For me personaly I like the shooting rail, rather than open I also like to sit rather than stand. Well until primtime then I stand I just take the front straps off, tilt the seat back and put them in around the frame. I think the strapped seats are more comfortable and adjustable than the fixed metal seats. So I would go with the viper

·
Banned
4,389 Posts
I like my Viper. Strong, quiet, and comfortable. I've sat up to 10 hours in it quite comfortably. For the rifle, the spot where the armrest joins the front rail makes a nice spot to rest your elbow for stability. I always stand to shoot my bow.

ATB

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you are deciding between these two you might want to consider the summit razor. With its movable front bar, it might give you the best of both worlds.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Depends on if you gun or bow hunt more. I would get the one with the shooting rail. It can be used all year but during bow season you have to position it low enough that it doesn't hit your bottom limb or cam. Just practice drawing before you get settled in to make sure you have room. If you hunt with long axle to axle bow it might get in the way regardless.. just some things to think about. I acutally have two summit stands.. the broadhead & 360..

·
Registered
646 Posts
As someone who has used both, go with the viper. The openshot, which is lighter; is a little more diffult to climb with. The viper allows you to sit on the shooting rail during climbing. This is a feature that to me feels much more safe, and requires less effort. The 5lb differnce is well worth it. Not metion if you nap, no worries of falling off your treestand. Just make sure you set-up for bow clearance, allowing for any possible shot.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. Didn't know if I wanted to spend 50 less dollars for a lighter smaller more open less comfortable stand or the more pricey heavier more comfortable one. I think ill go with the viper. Does it pack or nestle well? Also I hunt mostly mornings so is it easy to set up in dark?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
I own a Viper and love it. The only thing I dislike about it is the fact that it is difficult at times to get the straps over my boots when I am getting ready to come out of the tree. I feel comfortable climbing with it and also when I am in it as well as feeling safe and to me, that takes all the stress out of the hunt and allows me to enjoy my time in the air.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I love my viper, but I must tell you that I have three cousins with summit stands and one has a viper and the other two went with the more open ones. The one who has the viper cut the rail off of his stand because he hated it. I on the other hand am extremely afraid of heights and I bought my viper after losing the bottom on my old gator and having to hang by the top part for a long time until help got there. I feel safe enough to get up to about 20 ft in my viper and I dont feel too unsafe. I think the viper has actually made me more comfortable in other stands now, by helping me get over my fear. If you are not afraid of heights like I am then you might want the open stand because I have found that the rail can get in the way sometimes but If you are like me then the viper can make your hunt more enjoyable.​

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I just bought a viper this year. My only complaint is that it's hard to stay awake in the stand! Almost too comfy! I can see where shooting a bow could be a problem with the rail. I'm hunting with a crossbow now and really like the shooting rail.

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
Go with the Viper.......I lay my bow across it (the shooting rail) and have never had a problem with it getting in the way (if you plan on shooting while your sitting) that may be a different story......I always stand, but have shot deer while sitting out of it.......my only complaint would be, if you have to go through thick brush or grass you have to get pretty low or the stand will hang up on stuff....other then that its a great stand........Mack

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
The rail did suck the first few times, but then I just started practicing while sitting in the stand just a few feet off the ground with base, so my butt was like 3-4' off the ground and I got used to it real quick.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
The OpenShot replaced the Bushmaster which I have. Nice thing about the Bushmaster is you had the best of both worlds--extremely small upper to bowhunt and you could add the shooting rails for rifle.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I also am looking at the viper ultimate SS Stand. It is pretty expensive for me but I am looking for something that will be safe. I too am not into hights very much either. I was going to look at the Tree Lounge but I think I have changed my mind. Keep coming with the good info on the stands. It is very helpfull.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I had the openface and hated it . It was to hard to climb .If your a young kid you may get away with it but the older you get the harder it will be to use. Summit makes a damn nice stand ,but shop around a little bit more. I had a couple of summits and ended up getting a very nice stand at Dicks for about half the price.
Bob

·
Registered
47 Posts
I also have the Viper and think it's a pretty nice stand overall. I did take a grinder to the teeth to give them a little more bite, helped a bunch with the sliding when pressure was relieved. Not a huge fan of the shooting bar as I am vertically challenged and standing up and drawing together seems like alot of movement with a deer in bow range. I mounted a piece of cedar board under the top rail and strapped the pad to that and while its not as comfy, it gets me above the rail.

·
Premium Member
9,398 Posts
I own a Viper and love it. The only thing I dislike about it is the fact that it is difficult at times to get the straps over my boots when I am getting ready to come out of the tree. .
http://www.summitstands.com/productdetail.aspx?id=85052

Problem solved. Not sure, but I think most of the new stands come with these. Once you get these set for the boots that you're wearing, you'll never use straps again. I think Cabelas and Bass Pro carries them also.
Never, not use the umbilical cord!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts