Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right, I'll try out the new forum...

I have noticed in some of the warmer rivers, which are good for Smallmouth Bass, but too warm for trout, that there are abundant suckers. Some quite nice sized.

During the sucker "run" in the spring, they are easy to catch. However, I have noticed that in the dog days of summer, these fish will feed and be active right out in the open in the middle of the day, but I can't seem to get them to take anything I offer.

Recently, I spent the better part of an evening drifting a phesant tail past some of these guys. I may have had one or two taps, but none of them would take it for good.

The water is swifter than what you usually find carp in, so I am thinking the methods might be slightly different.

Also, these are in stream sections blocked by dams, so I am thinking that a egg patterns might not be the right choice. Am I wrong on that?

Any tips for summer time sucker nymphing?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Maybe this doesn't specifically answer your question and I haven't tried to catch suckers on a fly either, but you might consider just catching one any way you can, cut it open and then trying to simulate whatever you find inside. That has worked for me with trout.

·
Registered
345 Posts
me and a buddy fished the rifle a couple years back and he was catching them on hex nymphs like size 6 and 8s. as deep as he could get it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Suckers feed on eggs during the spawn but then switch to a primarily plant based diet in the summer. You can drop a picture perfect nymph on their nose an they won't bite. Ever notice how close they stay around/ behind u while u wade?

Sent from IPhone.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Even if they go on a vegi feed in the summer, I gotta think that something drifting along the bottom could get sucked up. I just don't think they will chase it very far.

I stopped in at a fly shop and asked the same question and they suggested a crayfish imitation. That seems like a big item that moves too fast, but I have a small one tied up and may give it a try...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts