Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finished my 'Honey Do' list early this weekend and decided to take advantage of the beautiful weather to get a few projects knocked off the boat list. I first decided to get the blind frame mounted. I have the Mud Buddy Shaggy blind and was able to get the frame mounted in about 3 beers. The hardest part of this whole project was getting the cross straps set right so the frame sat just the way I wanted it. This step took a few more beers. Here is the frame prior to shagging:

Once the frame was set, I placed the shag over top and strapped it on. After getting everything lined up, it ended up looking like this:

The shag should work on the majority of the days but I also plan on picking up a few sheets of fast grass for whenever I might need it. I will also add to wind liner for those cold and rainy days.

For my next project I will be getting the trolling motor bracket welded to the bow as well as adding a quick release bracket for the 40# Minn Kota. I did run into one little snag and have a decision to make on where exactly to mount the bracket. Seeing that I have the light bar on the bow I'm not able to put the bracket where it should be and I may have to angle out on the front corner.

My other option would be to put it between the spotlight mount and the nav light and make a riser for the spotlight bar. I will probably end up going this route as it will put the TM more towards the center of the boat and I will still be able to use the lights when I need them.

Once the TM is mounted, I will be adding a few sheets of hydro-turf to the floor, bow and boxes. After spending all day in the sun today, I can't wait to get this stuff on the floor as it sure gets hot. Other than a few odds and ends, that should just about do it. Maybe I'll be able to get some fishing in after all......

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Looks good, Jeff!

You sure know how to shag. :lol:

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Looks great Jeff. . .good luck with the trolling motor trouble.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I like the blind material. I am in need of some right now, but I don't want to pay $400, Has anyone bought some netting and then bought some bult material, cut it in to 1" strips and tied it through the netting? or even black zip ties. Just tring to save some $, and kill some time.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
dang that is a nice looking boat.... Im trying to decide what to do with mine...i want to do more duck hunting this year so im going to try to do some upgrades on it... just short of money right now....

nice looking set up tho

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
I think you could kill something out of that rig. - like the guillie suit (sp.) effect of your blind.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
2001rotax800 said:
I like the blind material. I am in need of some right now, but I don't want to pay $400, Has anyone bought some netting and then bought some bult material, cut it in to 1" strips and tied it through the netting? or even black zip ties. Just tring to save some $, and kill some time.
It looks great!! I am in the same boat as Rotax, cant afford the high cost, and want to make my own. Any ideas on purchasing netting, material, etc. Any ideas would be appreciated.:)

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the compliments guys. I really like the shag look as well. It appears to be pretty flexible and will work in a variety of covers. Throw in a few sheets of fastgrass and I'll be all set.

As for making your own, sure it is possible. I will try taking a close up picture so you can see the details. Some zip ties, old camo material, burlap sacks, etc... and you will be all set. The frame could easily be made if you have some electrical conduit and a pipe bender.

This blind was essentially made for this boat so it was almost a no brainer for me. Anyway, the proof is in the pudding so we'll have to wait until Fall to see what happens.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Looks great!

One of the public marshes that I hunt in Ohio has 40+ zones that are drawn 4 days per week. The zones offer little in the way of cover....but there is a guy that hunts there a lot that I've seen many times who wears a ghillie suit....and he really whacks the birds.

Something about all those strips breaking up his outline, adding depth and recession at the same time...really makes him blend in with the surrounding cover (although sparse in some zones). I've actually seen him sitting on virtually bare ground on an island and watched him decoy birds right in his face.

Nice boat, and great job in selecting a blind. Best of luck with the trolling motor...dang things can be problematic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts