Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one have any reports of "Summer Kill"?

Bass Lake in Vestaburg had about 30 Pike & numerous amounts of other species (Bass, Sunfish, & Blugill) wash up dead due to the hot waters. They were counted in the evening, and seen floating.

(I only know the Pike # becasue my son was counting the Pike only.)

Water Temp Saturday was 93 a the end of the dock.

My Mom called it a "Fish Boil" but more along the lines of "Summer Suffocation"

Summer Kill Summer kill occasionally occurs in lakes and streams during extremely hot summer weather. High temperature and low dissolved oxygen combine to stress the fish. Most prone to summer kills are pike, perch, suckers, bass, and bluegill living in shallow, productive lakes or bays with excessive amounts of algae or rooted aquatic vegetation. The plants consume large amounts of oxygen at night, causing a temporary shortage of the vital gas just before dawn. A cloudy, calm day extends the critical period by reducing re-oxygenation from photosynthesis and wave action. Apparently, fish in the oxygen-depleted areas do not sense the danger and swim to safety in time.

Full Description can be found here.
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10364-119822--,00.html

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
The Grand River Bayous are getting fried! 100's of dead pike floating in many of the bayous, if there is no deep water refuge the Pike are in trouble, there typically the first to go.. Other shallow lakes in the area are experiencing the same thing, Dean, and Rainbow area just a couple where I know people that have counted numerous dead pike.. The cooler nights may have help some but not much relief in sight..

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
Was pretty scary last week when I was on Fletchers and saw 88.5 water temp. I've seen close to 90 in August, but never this early. Needless to say, the fish aren't biting. Didn't see any dead ones, yet. Vegetation growth is up in most places because of the mild winter, so that sucks even more oxygen out of the water. If we don't hit a cool stretch soon, there may be allot of dead fish in the rivers and shallow inland lakes coming up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts