Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been watching one mature buck in particular all summer. Lots of trail cam pics all over the property. I have not had a picture of him since 8/30. Since then all the other bucks we have on camera have shred their velvet and are still using the property during daylight hours.

It seems he is the only buck that had made a “shift”.

I’m wondering if anyone had experienced a mature buck making a shift around the time they shred velvet and then return during hunting season at all?

I’m hoping he’s still in the close area of the property as he was the only “ shooter” I have on camera all summer.

·
Registered
12,518 Posts
The "shift" doesn't always mean he left your property completely. Food sources are changing now and if you have good bedding you may be able locate him on a new food source.

On the other hand if your pics of him are on a food source and he's not bedding on your property, well, yeah he's probably gone until the off chance hot doe brings him back by in November.

Also, mature bucks get unpredictable. Take it all with a grain of salt but I wouldn't necessarily write him off if you have good cover.

·
Registered
12,518 Posts
...and does! ;)
Yep.

We don't usually get much on cam during the summer, we have the cover that holds does... So that buck the neighbor has been watching all summer disappears and guess where he shows up when it's legal to shoot him?

It's cool to have bucks on your property all summer but all you can do is shoot them with your camera.

·
Premium Member
9,652 Posts
My bachelor group left about 4 days ago for who knows where ...a little early this year but the white acorns are starting to drop .Most of them will drop in from time to time they always do .

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
If your pics were majority daytime of him he could be moved out. I'd rather have all night pics of bucks because that tells me they ain't bedding there and are on the properties next door. A lot of hunters don't realize that having a bachelor group on their property in the summer is actually a really bad thing. The key to seeing him again will probably be late October early November.
If you have acorns get after him the first week of October if he shows on cam soon.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
If your pics were majority daytime of him he could be moved out. I'd rather have all night pics of bucks because that tells me they ain't bedding there and are on the properties next door. A lot of hunters don't realize that having a bachelor group on their property in the summer is actually a really bad thing. The key to seeing him again will probably be late October early November.
If you have acorns get after him the first week of October if he shows on cam soon.
In 15 years of running cameras, I’ve never gotten a night picture of a buck or bucks (group) in velvet. Always morning and evening, definitely bedding on my property. The only thing I can think is my property is to thick for nighttime use in velvet, or it’s a very safe place and no need for night movement. I actually get very few night pics all season being all bedding.
Good luck this season mr. Baker.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Try moving your cams to oak flats, summer pics suck, they get you all jazzed up. Then often times after the shift you get left does and dinks. But if you have does and good food source the big boys will return.

Good luck finding them back.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
In 15 years of running cameras, I’ve never gotten a night picture of a buck or bucks (group) in velvet. Always morning and evening, definitely bedding on my property. The only thing I can think is my property is to thick for nighttime use in velvet, or it’s a very safe place and no need for night movement. I actually get very few night pics all season being all bedding.
Good luck this season mr. Baker.
Similar to what I’ve seen this year, with 4 cameras over a month have less than 10 nighttime pics.
As for the OP..it can depend, but there is always the isolated chance he comes back thru on a hot doe during season. I wouldn’t hold hope he’s there regularly, but may do the occasional pass thru, hopefully past you, while you are there.

·
Registered
9,321 Posts
It could it be your checking your cams to much? See the coincidence?

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

1 - 12 of 12 Posts