Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am purchasing a .17 for coyote hunting soon. What is the best cheaper .17 out there? I have no experience with them. Any info from experiences would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
If your talking rim-fire,you would be much better-off with a 22mag for coyote hunting.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking rimfire so i could use it at night. I thought the .17s were more accurate at longer ranges than a 22mag?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Neither one is a long-range coyote gun.When hunting at night your shots will be close anyways.Imo,you would be better off with a shot-gun,but if your going to use a rifle,go with the 22mag.

·
Registered
97 Posts
You'll get alot of "the 22 mag is better" and the "no the 17 is better". We shoot alot of yotes out here (no closed season), and have used both with success. 22 mag ammo is cheaper than .17 HMR ammo but the .17 HMR is much flatter and hold's in the wind much better (we get alot of wind around these part's). As far as rifle's, I have very good luck with the Savage bolt action .17 HMR's. Got two of them. Bought them for 225.00 a piece with BSA Sweet .17 vari. scope's. Ruger is my choice for .22 mag's with a bolt action. Alot more spendie than the .17. My first choice is the .17 HMR with a 22-250 for the longer shot's. Whatever you decide between the two you really can't go wrong with.

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
I am purchasing a .17 for coyote hunting soon. What is the best cheaper .17 out there? I have no experience with them. Any info from experiences would be appreciated.

Go to the sports shop and actually look at a 17 bullet......tiny little thing....better off with 22 mag......can a 17 do it yes sometimes....far more knock down power with the heavier 22 mag bullet....

·
Registered
386 Posts
If you are going to buy a dedicated coyote rifle I suggest a 22-250, 223, or if you really want a 17 then get a 17 Remington center fire. The 17 HMR will kill a yote if you hit it in the head. The little 17 gr bullets do not get very good penetration nor do they have the knock down power for something the size of a coyote. A 17 caliber hole does not let much blood out. If a dog runs one would be hard pressed to find it. If you wish to hunt at night use a 12 ga and Hevi Shot T (Dead Coyote). It will drop a dog in its tracks out to, and maybe (Big Maybe) a bit past 50 yards. I have a 17 HMR and it is wicked on squirrels. I can hit them in the head out to around 100 yards. Be very careful marking which tree they are in. After a 80 or 90 yard walk in the woods all the trees start to look the same. I normally restrict my shots to under 50 yards or I spend more time looking for dead squirrels than live ones.

·
Registered
56 Posts
unless you are planning on night hunting there is really no reason to want a rimfire, and if you are planin on night hunting a shotgun would be your best chocie i dont feel very confident shooting more then 50 yards at night anyway and that can be handeled with a shotgun. like said before go with a .22-250 .223 .204 or something similar

·
Premium Member
9,398 Posts
.......The 17 HMR will kill a yote if you hit it in the head. The little 17 gr bullets do not get very good penetration nor do they have the knock down power for something the size of a coyote.
Respectfully, I somewhat disagree. There are choices of bullets that do get penitration, especially the 20gr FMJ. If you're just shooting the 17gr. V-Max, its small and designed to blow up inside. Same with the poly tipped. However, you can use either of the 20gr bullets.
I've had these things turn a very large coon, litteraly inside out! You don't necessarly have to hit them in the head to drop them on the spot.
Is it a light weight bullet? Yes it is, no doubt. Will it kill a coyote? Well BigSky appears to have answered that question.
I do believe however, that if you're hunting at night, use the shotgun.
I've shot more than a thousand of rounds out of my Savage and just love it. Yes, they are extremely accurate.
http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/products.aspx
NOTE: SEE THE WARNING FOR SEMI AUTO RIFLES.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
if you areplanning on night time hunting i wouldgo with a 22. mag.. heavier bullet, better energy ect. If not go with a center fire. And a shotgun is not abad option either. As far as the .17 .22 mag rivelry= The way i look at it is realy who cares how flat shooting it is. If you know your gun and practice you should be able to shoot to longer distances anyway, and at a longer distance i would rather have the extra energy. But like stated above neither a .17 or a .22 mag are long distance guns. And if you sight in to maximum point blank range you will see that shooting to a longer range with the .22 mag isnt as hard as some make it out to be. I have shot mine out to 280 yards ( at a target) and could get a rezonable group shooting off a dirt pile.

As far a rifles i always have shot Marlins for rimfires. I think they are great guns. from what i have seen you can find a rimfire rifle in just about any brand for about the same $200- $250 price range in either .17 or .22 mag. and of course go up from there

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
Skip the .17 HMR I've heard stories time and again of people losing both fox and coyote with them under 100 yards with shots to the vitals shooting .17 HMR. I don't even want to hear about the dumb caliber anymore, it's a squirrel gun and that's all it'll ever be.

.22 Mag is a 75 yard yote gun also, nothing more.

Serious dog hunters know this as fact......

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I shot and lost 4 coyote using a .17 rim fire.

I'm positive they are all dead. One went down a hole, the second one was found days later, where the other 2 ran off to I still have no clue.

I killed a female at approximately 130 yards with my new .22 Mag. and she dropped on the spot with a neck shot. Left a hole I could push my finger through!

·
Premium Member
9,398 Posts
Had a buddy shoot one (coyote) with his 50cal. Knight muzzleloader and a 300gr Hornady XTP. He swore up and down that he hit it in the "vitals". We tracked that thing for a mile on the snow. It never slowed down and we never found it. Sparce blood....
"Shot right through the vitals." ;)

PS.......... ain't no fox, that provides me a standing shot at 100yds or less, to where I can shoot that fox in the "vitals", that's going to make it anywhere with my 17HMR.
I shot one just a couple years ago (yes, I had and have a fur harvesters license), that had a bad case of mange and in pretty bad shape. It ran right through the back yard, then down to the orchard and I got a very close look at it. It made its last mistake of stopping at exactly 151 yards. My 17HMR left an exit wound about the size of the bottom of a coffee cup. I buried it and disinfected the shovel, as we have a dog.
I must admit though, its a great squirrel rifle ;)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the post, now that i've been thinking about it I believe i'm going to go with a 22-250. I don't do a lot of night time hunting anyway. I seen the H&R looks like a less expensive gun, but it's kind of ugly and just a single shot. Anyone have experience with them?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts