Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own about 8 acres of woods behind my house in Jackson County that I hunt and I want to put in a small food plot. My problem in recent years has been getting deer in the area but can't get them to stay around. There isn't really any food nearby so I was hoping a food plot wood help hold the deer in my small plot of land a little better. I've cleared out and tilled about a 20 yard by 40 yard spot that should receive ample sunlight. The surrounding area is pretty densely wooded and I'm just wondering what I should try to put in my plot and how to prepare it for planting. I was thinking of some kind of clover but wasn't sure how easy it is to get it going. I should probably get a PH test to get the best advice so maybe I'll try to get that in the next couple days. Any help you guys good offer would be great. Thanks,
Brandon

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Are you bowhunting this spot or gun hunting it?

Reason it makes a difference is what you feed them to keep them around in each season is different.

Clover is easy to grow, but might take you two years to establish. Alfalfa needs high PH levels but is a good bow hunting crop. Maybe a mixture of both. Or, try one of the QDM mixes. Do google search for QDMA seed mix and you will find it.

However if I had one choice I would either plant corn, or put in late soybeans, planting them in mid-july.

You do need to get your PH levels up, 6.5 would be a good zone to get them into, but use quick release lime, not pulverized lime stone or AG lime, that stuff takes too long to take off.

You should be liming it now to get it right by planting time.

I spread 2.5 tons of pelletized lime on a new one acre plot and brought the PH from below 5 to over 6.5 since last January 1st. This was applied in three different applications.

By you saying "keeping them around" I am thinking this is not to feed them but rather to hunt them over. Then I would choose the time you want to hunt, late bow, early gun etc.. and plant your crop accordingly.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
The problem I think you will find with corn or soybeans is that with such a small plot it will probably be destroyed by time hunting season comes around. Koz is right about clover taking a while to establish itself. I'm around jackson also and plan on putting in a clover and oats mix in the fall as we are preping the spots right now. The oats will give me something green for hunting season and then die off in the winter, then hopefully the clover will come up stong in the spring. Winter wheat is another good option to mix with clover but you'll have to spray it with a selective herbicide in the spring to kill it off. We are also going to try Biologics Hot Spot in a couple areas this year which is a mixture of Austrian Winter Peas, winter wheat, and buckwheat. We plan to seed everything around Sept. 1.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts