Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get our neighbors involved in some of our limited buck harvests. Anyone have a letter that they have used to contact? What do you think would be the best method to contact.

SOme neighbors are very trigger happy. We have heard 5-7 shots in less than 30 seconds. This has happened several times. So they pretty much hunt for the freezer. Which is fine, I am not judging. I would just like to see them pass on some younger bucks. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Here is what I would do.

I have dealt with this myself.

I would become friends with them.

Visit them a few times. Then ask them if they would like to help improve the buck population around your area.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
What I have done is over the past year, is stop by and introduce yourself and get to know them on a first name basis and then you can start bringing up this topic in general conversation.

This weekend, since it was so hot, I decided to just go visit with the neighbors and talk. When I showed up at the one neighbors house he was really glad to see me and wanted to let me know that they had just taken two deer from his farm and that they were button bucks. Well you want a perfect opportunity to just start talking about deer management. Well I have had a good repore with him because I have been telling him about all of the habitat improvements I have done to my farm and he actually was very interested in my opinion. Well by the end of the day, he is actually thinking of letting me lease his farm to manage it and help him with the CRP he just enrolled in. So this should be a good thing.

I think everyone is different though, now my neighbor on the other side was very reluctant to even strike up a conversation and was very skittish when I was talking to him. But I will still stop by just to say hi.

You just have to know how to react to the different people you will be meeting.

But I think face to face is the best way.

Just my 02

HM

1 - 3 of 3 Posts