Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am from Central Ohio and am planning a camping and fishing trip for next July. I would like to stay at one of Michigans State Parks, I have heard good things about them. I would like to be on a lake that holds walleye, and a lake that I would feel safe on, with a fourteen foot deep-v. Please e-mail me with any help [email protected]
Thank You.

·
Administrator
36,077 Posts
I would suggest two. Lake Lelandnaw (sp) north west of Traverse City (don't know about camping around there), or Long Lake south west of Traverse City, which if you choose that option Interlochen state park is very close by.

------------------

·
Registered
386 Posts
South Lake leelanau has a couple great campgrounds. I always liked Leelanau Pines on the southwest end near the town of Cedar. They have thier own launch ramp and good fishing can be found right out off the campground for panfish and pike and not far for Walleye.

------------------
Mike

·
Registered
11,858 Posts
Try The state park in Gaylord on Otsego Lake.
If the the state park is full, on the west side of the lake there is a nice county park. If you look at the MDNR planting list you will see Otsego lake gets some of the largest plantings(frys). The lake has alot of weeds, but thats where the walleye hang.
Usually this time of the year crawler harness' work the best. Use no sinkers and stay above the weeds. Evenings are the best time. The lake has some real big pike, bass and blugills if you can find them.
My kids like the state park better than the county, more for them to do.

·
Registered
9,573 Posts
If you are going to the U.P. there are two that come to mind. 1) Muskellonge State Park in Deer Park, just outside of Newberry. great Musky and Walleye lake, plus several nice streams for trout in the area. 2) Van Riper State Park in Ishpeming on Lake Michigamme. beautiful lake for pike and walleye, probably perch also, plus the added chance to spot a moose if your lucky. One more would be quite a trip, but Fort Wilkins state park in Copper Harbor is pretty nice also, but plan on a long drive to get there.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Steve - when you go to Long Lake, do you rent a cabin or camp? And is there a place to rent boats? My wife and I are looking to go fishing & camping for our 5th year anniversary.Any help would be appericiated.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Van Riper on Lake Michigamee just west of Marquette in the Upper Peninsula is a beautiful park and lake. Great fishing and surronding area is beautiful. Lots of choices, so many places to fish, so little time to do it. Good luck and have fun.....and welcome to Michigan!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the responses guys, believe it or not almost all of the lakes that were mentioned were in my top ten list. With help from this site and the Michigan D.N.R., I know we will have a good time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts