Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i planted some sudan this year just to see how it turned out. my purpose was to use it as a screen but i was disappointed to see that the sudan only got to 2ft tall in most areas. i planted this one 50yrd strip about 4ft wide and it only grew about 2ft tall except on 3ft area that grew 5 ft tall. why would this one area grow 5ft but the rest around it grow 2ft? all was planted at the same time

·
Registered
263 Posts
I, too, planted sorghum sudan this year and was very disappointed. I think it was too cool this summer. I won't plant it again, as I planted cave n rock with it.

JPB

·
Registered
36,328 Posts
A cool growing season could have affected your growth.

SS is low ph tolerant but the higher the ph the more available fertilizer becomes. Did you fertilize at a rate of about 200lbs/acre of urea?

·
Registered
570 Posts
In Newaygo Co. my BMR Sudan Sorghum got about 5-7' tall, but this weekend I was disappointed to find it had all been blown over.:sad: So much for my screen~ Good thing I still have my CIR switch...atleast it's something @ 3.5-4' in its' first year.

·
Say My Name.
14,731 Posts
I've planted forage sorghum, grain sorghum, and BMR Sudan sorghums.

Sorghum needs to get off to a good start. If it doesn't (usually due to drought), you wind up with lots of weed competition, and the sorghums just don't handle competition very well.

Sorghums love hot weather. A cool summer, like we had this year, is poison to sorghums.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I had good growth with mine, got about 6 foot tall, and was very happy with it until this weekend when I went out. The driving wind and rain knocked it all down. I can see why pheasant managers like this plant. It creates overhead cover and also food when bent over. I was hoping it would last longer into the season. I too planted CIR that got about 2 feet high so the need for SS won't be there anymore. After what I saw, I would never again encourage somebody to plant SS for screening cover, it just does not hold up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts