Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever go to the Clinton or nearby rivers to catch suckers for bait while ice fishing? I would think the rivers would not be frozen over most of the year. I fished the Clinton many times this fall for steelhead, and saw a lot of suckers while I was doing so.

·
Registered
344 Posts
When I used to ice fish as a kid we would go to the rouge and catch creek chubs to use on our tip ups and the big ones became our spearing dummies. Chubs were always plentiful and if using wax worms you could catch a bucket full and only go through a few.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's exactly what I'm looking for! Anything kind of chub or sucker that I can catch fairly quickly, but the Rouge is a little too far away from me. I guess I'm just gonna have to try going to the clinton and seeing if I can catch any. It's worth a try, I'm tired of spending money on minnows when I know I can catch them somewhere.

·
Administrator
27,240 Posts
Used to catch them with a minnow trap or by hook and line using a size 10 or 12 hook with a piece of worm. Chubs were plentiful.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Anybody ever go to the Clinton or nearby rivers to catch suckers for bait while ice fishing? I would think the rivers would not be frozen over most of the year. I fished the Clinton many times this fall for steelhead, and saw a lot of suckers while I was doing so.
You can definitely catch suckers in teh Clinton or area feeder creeks, Galloway Creek, Paint Creek, Stoney Creek, etc. I would recommend the Clinton around downtown Rochester or one of the smaller feeder creeks. Access downtown in easy and plentiful and should be an easy task. The other creeks can be more difficult to access. The Paint being the most accessible. You can definitely do it, I know I will;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts