Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where are some good spearing rivers in SE michigan or in the thumb? Never have done any sucker fishing of any kind before and would like to find a place in this area. Thanks

·
Registered
990 Posts
Try Mill Creek in Goodland twp. It crosses under M-53 s. of Armstrong rd where the junkyard/paint/body shop is. They go up as far as the dam on Caldwell rd.

·
Registered
11,852 Posts
We used to go in a feeder creek of the belle river... I don't have a clue of where it would be though. County map book would come in handy. It is amazing how small of a creek they will come up into to spawn. Some of out best spearing was out of little streams that you could jump accross.

We used to spear them in armada years ago...I don't think the creek has enough water now to support much of a run. Man that was alot of fun, back in the day! Used to stay out all night gigging them and have to go to work the next day smelling like dead fish!!!

·
Registered
419 Posts
we always get 'em in branches of the clinton river around 27 - 29 mile road.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I grew up about 2 miles from the spot n. pike spoke about. Mill Creek used to be a great place to fish about 25 years ago. You could catch just about any species of fish out of there. It had a salmon run for a few years that was ridiculous. The farmers pump water out of the creek, and it is nowhere near as high as it used to be. It was easy to spear suckers or carp out of when it was high, so I imagine it would be that much easier with the condition it is in now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts