Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday was an awesome day for me! I managed to shoot my personal best buck yet! After a slow bow season, with a few buck sightings but nothing in range, this was a huge surprise and very exciting. I went out Saturday morning with my stand on my back, to a property I had hunted a few times in bow season. All the deer sign and sightings had been 200 + yards east of where I had a pre-hung stand, so I brought my mobile one in on my back and hung a new set on the east side of the property. Settled in about 6:15. Right at daybreak I see a deer moving through the pines but I couldn't identify what it was. About 7:45 I have a doe and fawn pop out to my right about 60 yards away. I can hear something in the brush behind them, and a minute or two later I hear some grunts. Out steps this buck, intent on harassing that doe. She trots off and he is following her. There is a lot of brush/undergrowth as this property had been thinned a couple years ago, but I managed to find a lane and sneak a shot in. He didn't go right down so I put another one in him as he ran off. I did have trail camera pictures of him back in October, but never expected to get a chance at a buck like this on the 2nd day of rifle season.

I am still pumped up and it's two days later. I have shot some decent bucks over the past couple years, but never a wall-hanger. He had a 17" inside spread and 8" long G2s. Would have been an 8 pt. but he busted off the left brow tine.

Thanks for checking out my story!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Nice buck. What did you shoot him with?

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Reactions: DanSS26

·
Administrator