Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Killed an 8 point on 11/13 at 3pm...first ever time hunting with a crossbow due to a shoulder injury. Also first time using expendable broadheads. I'm sold. I'm not a big user of scents, but I hung a scent wick with a deer scent made by a trapping company in Indiana about 10 yards in front of my stand (one of my guests brought it and swears by it). Buck came on a dead run from 150 yards out, and put the brakes on at 30 yards while facing me. After a brief stare down, his nervousness waned and he continued to walk toward the scent wick. Shot him at 12 yards broadside on the walk, as he emerged from behind a tree, and he ran about 80 yards and tipped in my CRP field.

Michigan Buck 11.13.19.jpg Michigan Buck 11.13.19 #4.jpg

Had a few more guys show up for the gun opener. Guest killed this 10 point at 8:30 opening morning after I let him walk by within 50 yards. I have a 1 buck per person limit on my property, and it took every bit of restraint I had to abide by it, but I knew this buck was headed to an area where I had posted my guest. It went where I hoped, and he hit it at 40 yards with his .44 Mag.
Aric 10 Point 11.15.19.jpg

This 10 point was chasing some tail about 30 minutes before sunset on opening day, and met up with my guest and his 12 gauge.

Bill 10 Point 11.15.19.jpg

Here are their bucks and my cape in my truck at the processor.

Bucks in Truck 11.15.19.jpg

Two guys did not connect on bucks, but each saw 40+ deer and several small bucks over the 3 days.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
That 10 took a whole lot of restraint to pass on it. Kudos to you. And congratulations to the three of you.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman
LOL...will you please quit sending your little bucks over to my property!

I have a few dozen pics of him from the summer and early fall too, mainly from the woodlot where I killed him. So I guess we know where he was spending his time this year...makes sense since he came off the property between us when I killed him.

Send me a bill for feeding him and I'll send you a bill for the taxidermy. And just note that I will take that trade every year!

·
Administrator
17,428 Posts
Congrats on some awesome bucks!
<----<<<

Reactions: Doghouse 5

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Excellent JOB John. Hard work on your land shows. Well deserved. Awesome bucks.
Thanks Paul. Every season has different variables, and it just happened to be our year. Makes up a little for last year where we didn't kill a buck until Dec. 16. It's good to see that laying off the smaller bucks is showing up in the results for our area.

·
Premium Member
14,272 Posts
Here’s one more pic Johnny of your/my buck in a recently pulled camera card. Hang this pic up next to the mount. View attachment 459797

Mal's buck was no stranger to the West. I was very fortunate to have an encounter with that buck just two days before Mal killed him. Was awesome to have this buck stop by my Basswood licking branch I zip tied to a walnut tree at 4'high 20 yards from my stand.

·
Registered
18,263 Posts
Provenance certainly adds a dimension to a buck..

·
Registered
9,318 Posts
Mal's buck was no stranger to the West. I was very fortunate to have an encounter with that buck just two days before Mal killed him. Was awesome to have this buck stop by my Basswood licking branch I zip tied to a walnut tree at 4'high 20 yards from my stand.

Richie you have incredible patience. I’ve passed a ton of bucks over he years. I’m not sure I could’ve passed that one at that range. I know John didn’t. Lol. I need to remember where your hunting though.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

If it's the same deer then he was a traveler...I killed him about 3/4 of a mile from that spot, and Sniper's property is a little over a mile. I take all my non-surveillance cameras down in mid-September, so I don't have any pics of him after that, but I did see what I'm pretty sure was him about 100 yards out from me in my alfalfa field early in the bow season. Of the 4 bucks killed on my property, the only one I didn't get in dozens of pics during the spring and summer is the 10 that my buddy from D.C. killed on the north end...he was a stranger.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts