Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to join the sturgeon spearing fun at Black Lake this year for the first time. I know it's probably a long shot for me to actually get one, especially having no experience at it, but it sounds like a really fun time either way. I know my 6 and 3 year old sons will love seeing the huge fish as people bring them in to the check station.

Does anyone have or know of a sturgeon spear for sale that I could buy?

I don't think using my pike spear would be responsible or effective. From what I've seen online so far it sounds like people are in 18+ feet of water and a heavy spear is needed. If I can't find one locally in Michigan I may have to bite the bullet and buy a new one from Wisconsin for $300+.

I plan to do a lot more research before the big day. Does anyone have any tips for what part of the lake to go to, depth, hole setup, strategy, bottom type? I don't know if these things are guarded secrets or not but any help is very appreciated!!

Good luck on the ice this year!!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Do you
I am planning to join the sturgeon spearing fun at Black Lake this year for the first time. I know it's probably a long shot for me to actually get one, especially having no experience at it, but it sounds like a really fun time either way. I know my 6 and 3 year old sons will love seeing the huge fish as people bring them in to the check station.

Does anyone have or know of a sturgeon spear for sale that I could buy?

I don't think using my pike spear would be responsible or effective. From what I've seen online so far it sounds like people are in 18+ feet of water and a heavy spear is needed. If I can't find one locally in Michigan I may have to bite the bullet and buy a new one from Wisconsin for $300+.

I plan to do a lot more research before the big day. Does anyone have any tips for what part of the lake to go to, depth, hole setup, strategy, bottom type? I don't know if these things are guarded secrets or not but any help is very appreciated!!

Good luck on the ice this year!!
Do you Spear pike currently?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts