Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting alot of questions these days about sturgeon fishing via pm's and such. It seems there is alot of interest. In the hope that most of you here are conservation minded and will appreciate these fish for what they are, I will fill you all in as best I can about what works for me. I am sure others may have more to add.

General location: Sturgeon are found the length of the north channel all the way from the lake to the deep hole at the south end of Algonac, and I am sure beyond. There is just too much river and too little time to explore it all. If you go out at night you will see these fish jumping everywhere, deep, shallow, close to shore and in the middle of the river.

Specific location: Sturgeon are big fish that I am sure must be able to feed efficiently. I read some sturgeon information on the web from the Pacific northwest that said the guides look for concentrations of food. I do the same here. The best way to find fish, and the way we develop our spots is to cruise the channel along eddys, drop offs and current breaks until we mark concentrations of fish. They could be of any species including rock bass, walleyes, suckers, sheepshead and catfish. They will show you where the river is concentrating food. Sturgeon will be right there with them. It doesn't have to be a deep hole.

Technique: The fishing is basic and simple. A gob of bait is presented on bottom while anchored just above the fish. I use baitcasting reels spooled with 50lb test line and 50lb leaders on a heavy catfish rods. I have gotten better numbers of fish on 30 lb leaders but have had a big fish break me off.

The rig: I rig my sinker as a slip sinker on the main line above a bead to protect my knot tied to a snap swivel. Instead of running the eye of my sinker up the main line I use a snap swivel to which the sinker is attached. This allows me to change weights without having to retie if I change depths.
The leader is about 3 to 4 ft with a barrel swivel on the end attached to the main line and a large hook on the other end. I prefer to use Owner cutting point saltwater hooks. Others use kahle style or circle hooks.

Bait: A group of us went out one night and fished different combinations of bait including just spottails, minnows and worms, just worms. The thing that produced the best was a big gob of crawlers. Out west they use cut-bait, The DNR uses gobies on their setlines. I have thought about catching some creek chubs and using them for cut-bait. People have suggested squid, oysters and other fish products from the store. Don't be afraid to experiment.
I spend alot on crawlers. Gulp worms have been known to work. If you find something cheap and durable please let me know.

Refinements: I always try to completely cover my hook with the bait. The mouth on these fish looks like one big feeler. I want the bait to feel as natural as possible when they pick it up. Sturgeon bite like a perch. If you get a bite, no matter how light, set the hook. It could be a small rock bass or a very large fish. Sometimes I will hold my rod to get a better feel for the bite and to provide for a quicker hook set before the bait is dropped. I get a much higher hooking percentage and catch rate this way. It seems alot of bites come after a boat has gone by creating a wake that causes the sinker to gently bounce on the bottom. On those calm nights with little wave action I will bounce the sinker off the bottom once in a while to stir up a little silt and cause some noise and vibration. I think this calls attention to the bait.

Handling the fish: Now that you have followed all of the above advice and have a big fish at the boat please treat him gently as possible. One of the reasons I use heavy rods and line is to get the fish to the boat before they are completely exhausted. Use a large net to get them in the boat. Have the camera, tape measure and hook removers handy before the fish is netted. You will need gloves to handle the fish because of the sharp plates and rough skin. Do not pick him up by the gills or hold him vertically. Grab the fish just in front of the tail and cradle the belly with your other hand keeping the fish horizontal. Get a quick picture and get him back into the water as quickly as possible. It will take some time to revive a big fish. Hold him upright in the water and allow water to flow through his gills. Sometimes they will go right away, sometimes not. He will let you know when he is ready to go. It may take some time. Be patient. Five to ten minutes is not unusual.

Finally: Once you have landed a fish check your line and leaders for nicks and frays. That skin and those plates and spines will do a number even on 50 lb test line. I normally will have to re-tie after about every second fish.

Conservation: This is the largest of the freshwater fishes. Unless you have fished the ocean, you will likely catch the biggest fish of your life. Please conserve this great resource by acting legally and ethically. Take a friend along to share this great experience. Sturgeon meat has a heavier texture, is very oily and has a stronger flavor than walleye or perch. Please practice catch and release. Enjoy the river at night. It is cooler with less boat traffic and you're not burning gallons of gas.

Be safe: Twice in the past 2 years I have had large boats heading directly toward me and had to frantically wave them off. Make sure you have all required safety equipment on board and that you have proper lighting. Always have both a loud horn or other audible signalling device as well as a spot light to make you presence known to those that should not be driving a boat especially at night.

HAVE FUN! GOOD LUCK!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
492 Posts
Treeman:
First, thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience on this subject. That is the kind of stuff that makes this website so cool.:D

Secondly, I commend you on your commitment to the conservation and enjoyment of this unique fisheries resource available here in the North Channel. I hope that others who read this and decide to chase those ancient beasts will have the same appreciation for them that you do.

Finally, I hope you keep posting your sturgeon fishing results, because even if I never get out there and try it (I'm not much of a night owl), I really like to see those sturgeon fishing reports and pictures.

For the newbies: The St. Clair River Michigan sturgeon fishing regulations include: 1). A free harvest tag that must be obtained prior to fishing for sturgeon (available at Blue Water Bait and Tackle, Lakeside, DNR Fish Research on South River Road), 2). A 42 to 50 inch slot limit, so fish under 42.0 inches and over 50.0 inches must be immediately released, and 3). Season open now thru the end of September.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,218 Posts
I took a Sturgeon charter in Washington State last year, on the Columbia River. Our guide was Clancy Holt, and he was a total professional and comsumate fisherman. We landed 22 Sturgeon in just under 5 hours, when the wind kicked up and blew us off the river - in 15 minutes we went from basically calm water to 30 MPH winds and dangerous whitecaps. We lost about twice as many fish as we landed, and everyone had a great time. We got 3 which were keepers - between 45" and 60". There were times when we had 4 rods getting bit at once, and we had triples on several times. We used dead fish for bait - I cannot reveal any of his secrets, as I was sworn to secrecy. I can tell you that the 8 boats which eventually surrounded us combined for 1 fish, while we were slaughtering them.

These are great fighting fish, and are a great resource. We kept 3, and they are good to eat as well. I was surprised at how little meat we got from those 3 large fish - we got 3 gallon ziplocs of boneless filets, but I figured we would have much more. The meat tastes good, and is a lot more like meat than most fish I am familiar with. It smokes real well.

Clancy used basically the same set-up just described. He used 10oz - 16oz pyramid sinkers, which boggled my mind. He had some prototype G-Loomis 13 foot rods they designed specially for Sturgeon fishing, and he was testing them. Not sure what line he used, but the leaders were braided. He had a special way of threading the bait onto the 4/0 barbless (mandatory) circle hooks. He had all sorts of little tricks, and they worked perfectly for us. He also had a 28 foot boat with a 225 hs tiller-drive motor. It takes a real man to handle a motor like that, and Clancy was a master. He knew the tide tables, and EXACTLY where to position the boat; and so much more. Hopefully I will be able to charter with him in the future - he guides for Salmon and Steelhead, too.

It is amazing to me that there are fishable numbers of these fish so close to home. If I was into this, here, I would find a way to have large amounts of frozen baitfish shipped to me from Washington or Oregon. That is a big hint.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
Jim,

What great summary...Thanks for passing the info along. I'll be the first to say that everything I learned about sturgeon fishing over the pass few years came directly from other sturgeon fisherman sharing their knowledge of this great fishery and how to fish it, with me. I've been fortunate enough to turn a handful of other fisherman on to sturgeon fishing in return. There's nothing like having one of those big boys on the end of your line.....or better yet seeing someone else in your boat land a big fish. I got a few folks going out with me this year that have never caught a sturgeon. I'm hoping that I can put them on a fish or two.:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fishndude said:
It is amazing to me that there are fishable numbers of these fish so close to home. If I was into this, here, I would find a way to have large amounts of frozen baitfish shipped to me from Washington or Oregon. That is a big hint.
I did a google search for frozen baitfish and it seems some diseases, particularly viruses can survive in frozen baitfish. I would be careful about possibly introducing disease into the great lakes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
Jim,

I must also thank you for the story. I would also like to add that everything I learned about sturgon fishing. Came from treeman ( jim ) and ice fishin nut ( mike ). I would advise other sportsman to take advantage of our greet resource. Also be conservation minded.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Awsome article! I went out last year for the first time. No Sturgeon last year, but you bet I will be back out there this year with a bit more education on angling for these pre-historic aquatic dinosaurs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,329 Posts
treeman said:
I am getting alot of questions these days about sturgeon fishing via pm's and such. It seems there is alot of interest. In the hope that most of you here are conservation minded and will appreciate these fish for what they are, I will fill you all in as best I can about what works for me. I am sure others may have more to add.

General location: Sturgeon are found the length of the north channel all the way from the lake to the deep hole at the south end of Algonac, and I am sure beyond. There is just too much river and too little time to explore it all. If you go out at night you will see these fish jumping everywhere, deep, shallow, close to shore and in the middle of the river.

Specific location: Sturgeon are big fish that I am sure must be able to feed efficiently. I read some sturgeon information on the web from the Pacific northwest that said the guides look for concentrations of food. I do the same here. The best way to find fish, and the way we develop our spots is to cruise the channel along eddys, drop offs and current breaks until we mark concentrations of fish. They could be of any species including rock bass, walleyes, suckers, sheepshead and catfish. They will show you where the river is concentrating food. Sturgeon will be right there with them. It doesn't have to be a deep hole.

Technique: The fishing is basic and simple. A gob of bait is presented on bottom while anchored just above the fish. I use baitcasting reels spooled with 50lb test line and 50lb leaders on a heavy catfish rods. I have gotten better numbers of fish on 30 lb leaders but have had a big fish break me off.

The rig: I rig my sinker as a slip sinker on the main line above a bead to protect my knot tied to a snap swivel. Instead of running the eye of my sinker up the main line I use a snap swivel to which the sinker is attached. This allows me to change weights without having to retie if I change depths.
The leader is about 3 to 4 ft with a barrel swivel on the end attached to the main line and a large hook on the other end. I prefer to use Owner cutting point saltwater hooks. Others use kahle style or circle hooks.

Bait: A group of us went out one night and fished different combinations of bait including just spottails, minnows and worms, just worms. The thing that produced the best was a big gob of crawlers. Out west they use cut-bait, The DNR uses gobies on their setlines. I have thought about catching some creek chubs and using them for cut-bait. People have suggested squid, oysters and other fish products from the store. Don't be afraid to experiment.
I spend alot on crawlers. Gulp worms have been known to work. If you find something cheap and durable please let me know.

Refinements: I always try to completely cover my hook with the bait. The mouth on these fish looks like one big feeler. I want the bait to feel as natural as possible when they pick it up. Sturgeon bite like a perch. If you get a bite, no matter how light, set the hook. It could be a small rock bass or a very large fish. Sometimes I will hold my rod to get a better feel for the bite and to provide for a quicker hook set before the bait is dropped. I get a much higher hooking percentage and catch rate this way. It seems alot of bites come after a boat has gone by creating a wake that causes the sinker to gently bounce on the bottom. On those calm nights with little wave action I will bounce the sinker off the bottom once in a while to stir up a little silt and cause some noise and vibration. I think this calls attention to the bait.

Handling the fish: Now that you have followed all of the above advice and have a big fish at the boat please treat him gently as possible. One of the reasons I use heavy rods and line is to get the fish to the boat before they are completely exhausted. Use a large net to get them in the boat. Have the camera, tape measure and hook removers handy before the fish is netted. You will need gloves to handle the fish because of the sharp plates and rough skin. Do not pick him up by the gills or hold him vertically. Grab the fish just in front of the tail and cradle the belly with your other hand keeping the fish horizontal. Get a quick picture and get him back into the water as quickly as possible. It will take some time to revive a big fish. Hold him upright in the water and allow water to flow through his gills. Sometimes they will go right away, sometimes not. He will let you know when he is ready to go. It may take some time. Be patient. Five to ten minutes is not unusual.

Finally: Once you have landed a fish check your line and leaders for nicks and frays. That skin and those plates and spines will do a number even on 50 lb test line. I normally will have to re-tie after about every second fish.

Conservation: This is the largest of the freshwater fishes. Unless you have fished the ocean, you will likely catch the biggest fish of your life. Please conserve this great resource by acting legally and ethically. Take a friend along to share this great experience. Sturgeon meat has a heavier texture, is very oily and has a stronger flavor than walleye or perch. Please practice catch and release. Enjoy the river at night. It is cooler with less boat traffic and you're not burning gallons of gas.

Be safe: Twice in the past 2 years I have had large boats heading directly toward me and had to frantically wave them off. Make sure you have all required safety equipment on board and that you have proper lighting. Always have both a loud horn or other audible signalling device as well as a spot light to make you presence known to those that should not be driving a boat especially at night.

HAVE FUN! GOOD LUCK!
since Sturgeon season is just around the corner and Treeman's advice is about as comprehensive as it gets and beginners would do well to heed his info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,059 Posts
treeman said:
I did a google search for frozen baitfish and it seems some diseases, particularly viruses can survive in frozen baitfish. I would be careful about possibly introducing disease into the great lakes.
i agree on the frozen bait, i think you get better results on local bait that they are use to normally. at least thats my findings. i may fish for them a half dozen times each year so i am no expert.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Its a very good article on a beginners guide to sturgeon. Two weeks ago I fished them for the first time in British Columbia on the Fraser River.We caught them from 22" long to a whopping 7'6" and 290 lbs. Now I am hooked and would love to try some of the local spots for catch and release sturgeon fishing.I have pictures but cant post them until I have 15 posts in..will update when I can.
 
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top