Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Stupidest Thing You Ever Did?

3K views 36 replies 32 participants last post by  Northwoods 
#1 ·
I'm sure this post has been made in the past, but I'd like to start it again.

Hunting and fishing presents lots of opportunity for mistakes. To this day I am learning how to do things better and even how to do things right.

Below are some of the things I that were just plain stupid:
1. Drove all the way to my hunting spot 1 hour and 20 minutes only to figure out that I forgot my arrow quiver. This was during the peak rut. (Worst one EVER)

2. Forgot to put the plug in my boat after launching it in the water.

3. Dropped my bow release just as I got settled in my tree stand. Now I use a wrist model that is strapped on before I start my climb.

4. Tried to split a pelvic bone on a doe with little lock blade knife while in the woods. The knife ended up unlocking and it folded up with my pinkie in between. I ended up in the emergency room to get many stitches. The staff was laughing at how it happened.

5. Thought I was Louis or Clark and did not mark my trail to a new hunting spot. 1st time I went out to this new spot in the dark I eded up getting lost. Embarrassing and unnecessary. I am not ashamed to admit that I use glow tacks now even though my spot is only 100 yards from where I park and I have hunted this spot for the past few years.

God, I hope someones got me beat.

See less See more
#2 ·
Ever lock your keys in your truck? On opening day? With your weapon still in the vehicle? While up north? And have to walk out of the woods becuase you didn't have a spare set of keyes? Me neither, atleast not that I'd admit too doing it. :dizzy:

#3 ·
swampstand said:
4. Tried to split a pelvic bone on a doe with little lock blade knife while in the woods. The knife ended up unlocking and it folded up with my pinkie in between. I ended up in the emergency room to get many stitches. The staff was laughing at how it happened.

God, I hope someones got me beat.
Ow,ow, ow, ow ,ow, ow. I bet you still carry the scar to remind you of that one. Real nice of the ER staff to be laughing at you , unless they were laughing with you.

A similar, but much more minor, thing I did was pull some ferns to add them to my blind for camo. The fern slipped through my hand as I pulled and gave me a nasty 'paper' cut.

#4 ·
I sure could come up with quite a few if i sit and think about it!
A couple come right to mind....

First... hunting up in Houghton Lake area, deadstream swamp, I thought i would check out a new area in the swamp and thought since there was new snow on the ground i would just walk in and follow my footprints on the way out. Got in there quite aways and it started to snow like a blizzard, any way went in in Roscommon county and came out in Missaukee county about 11:00pm!

A couple of years ago i was spring turkey hunting at a buddys and went to his friends house to shoot a little. We got back and got to doing some other things. The next morning (opening day) i was in his pole barn getting ready when he came out and wished me good luck and he went off to work. It was time to go out and then realized my gun was still in his truck!!! I was so pissed at myself cause now my morning is going to be shot cause i have to go to his work to get it. Then i look in the corner of the barn and see a like a 1950 something Western Field bolt action 12g poly twist choke, with a stock thats all duct taped together. with getting out before light weighing heavily on me, i grab it. Got to my spot and loaded a 3in rem hevi- shot mag #5 in it. I called at first light and had 2 toms run right in to me. I picked the bigger one said a little prayer and pulled the trigger! Thank god i thought and walked back to the barn with my largest turkey to date!!:)

-Bob:)

#5 ·
Since it was the last day of rifle, I figured "if you sit long enough HE (the buck) will come!" I sat next to a tree perfectly still and stiff for three hours. HE did not come. It was 25 degrees but I did not move an inch. Never know when HE might be peaking around a tree before stepping out in the open. I never moved an inch or saw a deer that night. I barely moved an inch since! My back seized up from sitting so stiffly in the cold for so long. Could barely move the next day. Now I got one more visit to the chiropractor before friday when muzzel loading season opens, though I will never sit that long and still in the cold again!

#7 ·
Get up @ 3am for the northern duck opener after packing everything perfectly only to find that I packed my 20 ga which had an identical case as the 12 ga but I did remember to pack my 12 ga shells.

That sucked.

#8 ·
bilili_3 said:
Since it was the last day of rifle, I figured "if you sit long enough HE (the buck) will come!" I sat next to a tree perfectly still and stiff for three hours. HE did not come. It was 25 degrees but I did not move an inch. Never know when HE might be peaking around a tree before stepping out in the open. I never moved an inch or saw a deer that night. I barely moved an inch since! My back seized up from sitting so stiffly in the cold for so long. Could barely move the next day. Now I got one more visit to the chiropractor before friday when muzzel loading season opens, though I will never sit that long and still in the cold again!
MAN....you need to invest in a blind!!!!:lol:

#9 ·
Who here has forgot a round when you get in your stand........those big bucks don't like that metallic click one bit...not that I would know:sad::dizzy::bash:

Thank god its only happend TWICE.

It sure does suck being human. sometimes.

#10 ·
I can beat the "locking the keys in the car" I did the exact same thing while I was guiding some hunters.......only thing was it was their guns that were locked in my truck.........as luck would have it I had a long skinny piece of steel rod that I was able to slip between the door jam and push the lock open.......I was fully embarrassed by that time though!!!

#11 ·
This happened many years ago to a co-worker of my brother in-laws. (Honest)
We'll call him Bob to protect the innocent.

As he's settling into his tree stand first thing in the morning he realizes he has to take a dump. He tries to wait it out, but it's no use. He climbs down and tries to get at least a little way from his stand, but can't make it. He drops his brand new coveralls and squats. After taking care of business he climbs back into his tree stand. All morning he's smelling what he left on the ground thinking "man that stinks, I should have checked the wind first".
After the morning hunt, he goes out to the road to wait for his buddy to pick him up. His buddy comes along and he gets in the backseat with another fellow hunter. After a short time everyone else in the car is asking "who ***** their pants?!". Well they don't go to far until the guy in the backseat can't stand it any longer. He looks over at Bob and tells him "quit farting or get in the back of the truck!". Then he notices something. He says "Hey Bob what the &%$@# is that in your hood". Well Bob had to get out of the truck take his knife and cut the hood off of his first time worn coveralls.
The moral of the story, always check your drop zone.

#12 ·
ABMike you made me remember what i did a few years back. i was 14 and my mom made me some sourkraut and kelbasa before i went hunting. i had never eaten that before..boy was it good and i ate a TON of it. an hour later My dad dropped me off at my stand and drove to his (just a little ways away) on the way to the stand i ran to get into some cover and unloaded dump #1, using all of my tp. i climbed up in the tree for a bit and got quiet. then i climbed down and unloaded #2.. i didnt make it far from the stand either. i climbed up into my treestand without my pair of cotton gloves. a little while later i was at it again...#3! i climbed back up the tree minus my gloves and socks. bear in mind that it is not fun climbing a tree--up or down--when you have rot-gut. next to go was my cotton teeshirt with dump #4. when my dad picked me up all that i had left on was coveralls, jeans and boots. :lol: thank god it was october or i would have froze. what is the stupid part...carry enough tp to handle more than one dump.

mike

for the record..the spot failed to produce anymore deer sightings for the year!

#13 ·
mhodnettjr said:
ABMike you made me remember what i did a few years back. i was 14 and my mom made me some sourkraut and kelbasa before i went hunting. i had never eaten that before..boy was it good and i ate a TON of it. an hour later My dad dropped me off at my stand and drove to his (just a little ways away) on the way to the stand i ran to get into some cover and unloaded dump #1, using all of my tp. i climbed up in the tree for a bit and got quiet. then i climbed down and unloaded #2.. i didnt make it far from the stand either. i climbed up into my treestand without my pair of cotton gloves. a little while later i was at it again...#3! i climbed back up the tree minus my gloves and socks. bear in mind that it is not fun climbing a tree--up or down--when you have rot-gut. next to go was my cotton teeshirt with dump #4. when my dad picked me up all that i had left on was coveralls, jeans and boots. :lol: thank god it was october or i would have froze. what is the stupid part...carry enough tp to handle more than one dump.

mike

You got close to the limit for "bait"

#14 ·
mhodnettjr said:
If you want to see the area he's writing about look for this:

#15 ·
This was a fishing dumb mistake. I pride myself in taking care of all the little details but I really blew it here. My wife and I were on a remote fly-in in August in the early 90's . My buddies and I fished the lake the previous year and really slammed the walleye. Plenty of 4 and 5 pounders. Nothing do but take my wife the next year to the same lake. Zilch. Could not hardly catch enough fish to feed her and I once a day. I have been on numerous fly-in trips and always found that I could catch walleye in moving water in a river or at a falls entering a lake. Problem was the river was over an hour boat ride each way. We made the trip and found one hole where we could catch about 5 or 6 and that would be it for the day. Well we made it to the last day and I always like to take my Mom and Dad back a limit of fish as with age they no longer fish. The last evening we made the hour boat ride and caught our 4 walleye. We were pleased and as I put the last fish on the stringer. In my exciteement I did not properly tie the stringer on and when I put the fish in the water the four swam away on a nice stringer. I am sure this has been done more than once but I am VERY carful that I don't do it again!!!!!!!

#16 ·
My best friend and fishing buddy DC and I were fishing Winfield Lake in Montcalm County. We were out in her hubby's 12 ft flat bottom alluminum boat. (Too much ladies for too little boat.) The gills were biting here and there, but the beers were tasting so good. I eased up on my consumption, because I could tell DC had a few too many. We were about 30 ft off shore and I asked DC to hand me the can of nightcrawlers. She leaned over too far and the boat started taking on water. Next thing I knew I was standing in 3 feet of water in the boat, the cooler is floating away, beer cans everywhere and DC is laughing her arse off! HA HA!:bash:

#17 ·
1) Left the keys to my brand new boat on the counter the first time I took it out fishing. Didn't realize it until I had the boat in the water at the dock and was trying to start it.

2) Had a knife in a leg sheath about 15 years ago on a bow hunt. Was walking up a hill and somehow the knife came out of the sheath. It went through my calf (leaving an entrance and exit wound).

3) See my earlier post 2 weeks ago about departing Charlotte Michigan to go to Flint only to realize an hour later I had taken I-96 to Grand Rapids.

#18 ·
Due51 said:
2) Had a knife in a leg sheath about 15 years ago on a bow hunt. Was walking up a hill and somehow the knife came out of the sheath. It went through my calf (leaving an entrance and exit wound).

[/b].
Yikes! I think we may have a winner.

#19 ·
ABMike said:
This happened many years ago to a co-worker of my brother in-laws. (Honest)
We'll call him Bob to protect the innocent.

As he's settling into his tree stand first thing in the morning he realizes he has to take a dump. He tries to wait it out, but it's no use. He climbs down and tries to get at least a little way from his stand, but can't make it. He drops his brand new coveralls and squats. After taking care of business he climbs back into his tree stand. All morning he's smelling what he left on the ground thinking "man that stinks, I should have checked the wind first".
After the morning hunt, he goes out to the road to wait for his buddy to pick him up. His buddy comes along and he gets in the backseat with another fellow hunter. After a short time everyone else in the car is asking "who ***** their pants?!". Well they don't go to far until the guy in the backseat can't stand it any longer. He looks over at Bob and tells him "quit farting or get in the back of the truck!". Then he notices something. He says "Hey Bob what the &%$@# is that in your hood". Well Bob had to get out of the truck take his knife and cut the hood off of his first time worn coveralls.
The moral of the story, always check your drop zone.
now that is funny:lol:

#20 ·
After hunting I undressed and before I could catch the trunk it closed - with car keys in my hunting pants. Not to worry - the trunk has a release button in the glove box. I found out it only worked with the car on.

Hunted a friend's property and kept my bow/arrow in his shed. Ran out one afternoon to catch last couple hours of the day, got all ready but couldn't find the broadheads (had taken them off for target practice) and figured I'd taken them home. Forty five minute drive home and couldn't find them. Then remembered, correctly, they were on shelf in the shed. No hunting that day.

Forgot to take safety off. Used wrong sight pin on a deer 8 yards out. Sight shotgun in for 2" high at 50 yards and then, inexplicably, hold 2" high at deer at that distance - why? This is getting depressing/comical, and these are just the 'top of mind' things? Deer huntin' sure can mess with your mind! John-Ypsi

#21 ·
mine was this past bow season, when i climb a tree with my climber the first thing i do when i get to where i am going to hunt from (height) i put the strap around my stand and then i put my bow and equipment strap around the tree its one of those strap types that has the hooks on it well i was in a rush this one morning, as i got held up at the local wesco i stopped for coffee and smokes, and got held up due to the fact that the woman in front of me was paying with her credit card and the stores computer was acting up. the clerk tried getting her to pay cash as she had only gotten 5 bucks worth but she wouldnt do it, anyway after 15 minutes of waiting i finally get out of the store and on my way, i get to my hunting area and rush getting dressed and ready i get done and of to the woods for a morning of hunting, i get to the tree i have been hunting get the climber all setup and i notice its starting to get light out already, well im almost to the height i want to hunt from and i hear footsteps i look in the direction of them and i see a deer headed my way and it was only 70 to 80 yrds out but it is stopping and eating acorns so i quitely hurry and start getting setup but when i reach for my strap hanger its not there so i get my cat quiver up and tie it up to the tree using the pull rope but when i look down here is the deer not 10 yrds from my tree and still coming. so i just freeze so as not to spook by now what i can tell is a huge bodied 8 point that has no idea i am there,, and this whole time im thinking why didnt i have my bow up here with me, well this brute by now is directly under me and my bow is right in front of him whats he do he steps right on it, and all i can do is curse myself for being out in the woods late and for wasting time at the store, well after what seemed like an hour he finally walks off and goes behind me, so i quitely pull up my bow and get all set for a shot by this time he is at 25 yrds directly behind my tree eating his fill of accorns and he finally presents me with a broadside shot i come to full draw and rest my pin on the sweet spot thinking the whole time how really lucky i had just been.and as i released the arrow i could just feel that the shot was perfect but the deer didnt act like he was hit and i didnt hear the distinct sound of arrow hitting deer and he bolted about 20 yrds and just stopped and looked back over his shoulder, and then just walked off i just sat down in utter amazement well i waited 15 minutes and climbed down to retrieve my arrow but when i got it i knew it was a complete miss, and it had hit about 2 feet in front of him i climbed back up and put 2 field points on and took 2 shots and yup my arrows both hit to the right about 24 inches from where i aimed so i just decided to call it a morning and when i got home and did some more inspecting i noticed he had knocked my WB off when he stepped on the bow, well i got everything set back up and had it shooting perfect again but that was the last buck that i saw for the rest of the bow and gun seasons. hopefully i will be able to score either during second bow or m/l seasons

#22 ·
Last year's bow opener. I had a nice doe down about 200 yards east of the middle of no where. I loaded all my gear in the truck, then loaded the deer in, went to get back in.....it's locked and running. I had nothing to work with....After sweating the load for a few minutes I figured breaking the sliding rear window out was a good idea because you could just replace that little window. So I pulled the pin on my 10" reciever hitch got up in the bed and sent her home. Well guess what.....you can't replace just the little window...oh no, that would make sense....and that whole rear window is over twice the cost of the front windshield.....

#24 ·
It must of been 3rd or 4th grade, Dale Butler says, "Come on, I got some .22 shells we can throw against the gymnasium wall". OK, sure, count me in. They make quite a bang when they hit just right, and that sound they make whizzing through the the air after they go off is pretty cool too. :tdo12:

To this day I freak when somebody drops a shell....had no clue what was going on back in the 3rd grade with those .22 shells going off!

#25 ·
mhodnettjr said:

mike

I'm laughing so hard my side hurts!!!!!

#26 ·
Thanks for the laughs boys...I'm typing this with tears in my eyes!

Once I had to take a dump while in my blind (I was 15). I decided to dig a hole in the blind I was in. I went into the woods with 2 pairs of socks on that day and came out with only one! I couldn't understand why no one else wanted to hunt that stand!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.