Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm bored. I have a seasonal business and hunting's mostly over. What kinds of stupid tricks have you taught your dog? I need some ideas.

I taught my older dog to take the scrunchy off my wife's pony tail a couple years ago. He's quite surgical about it. He can even get those little elastic string hair ties. No amount of screaming will deter the attack. :D She got back at me this year. She tells him "fetch Robbie's hat" and he jumps up and snags my brim and runs away with it - usually they attack when I'm halfway through taking my boots off. She doesn't like me to wear the orange hat in the house - or in public for that matter.:lol:

I need some new tricks for the pup. Other than the nose flip she's lacking in basic entertainment skills.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Teach it to speak English. If you get that figured out, I'll send you my dogs...:D

·
Registered
964 Posts
I tought my first dog to retrieve the phone when it was ringing. This happened the first time by accident, I was in the bathroom unable to get to my phone so I sent my dog for it and he brought it back! I then found it rather convienant so he would consistantly grab our phones when they were ringing and bring them to us. The only thing he couldn't figure out was who's phone was who's (if it was ringing I got it).

The funniest thing was the look on his face if someone came over and there phone started ringing in there pocket coat or somewhere he couldn't get it.

Its a dumb trick but it was very amusing and people who saw him do thought he was the greatest dog alive!

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DEERHNTR said:
I taught my first dog to retrieve the phone when it was ringing.
That's a good one. Maybe I should teach her to find my car keys. Not sure where they are right now?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Taught my dog to pull the stopper from the wash tub when we're done with her bath.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lady Bird Doggin said:
We tought my GSP Kimber to ring a bell when she has to go potty. Nothing to amazing, but she thinks she's pretty cool.
Nice trick - way too practical to be stupid though.

·
Registered
592 Posts
redvdog said:
My oldest Vizsla will fetch a pop/water from the fridge and shut the door behind her:)
Yep, the old yellow lab will do this but only with plastic/aluminum containers. She doesn't like the glass beer bottle:mad: so we compromised and I put bottle cozies on the beer and she'll get them for me now. She does all the usual tricks, lay down, roll over, play dead w/ legs in the air, balance the cookie on the nose then flip it, and high five. The choc. Hank is completely addicted to ice cubes, and has learned to open most types of coolers, snap locks and all, can't keep any closed with him around. If he ever figures a way to reach the freezer I'm in trouble, he knows they come from "that thar top box".

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
First, teach your dog to speak on command.

Second, add the phone as a visual with the hand signal for speak. Add, "your turn to order the pizza" You'll have to dial unless you program the phone for the dog bark.

Third, train the pizza place that when the dog calls and barks, order the usual and have it delivered.

This blew my friends out of the water!

The pizza even had "Bowser" on the tag.

:lol:

The owner of the pizza place had his dog in my training class. ;)

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Hammerin' Hank said:
Yep, the old yellow lab will do this but only with plastic/aluminum containers. She doesn't like the glass beer bottle:mad: so we compromised and I put bottle cozies on the beer and she'll get them for me now. She does all the usual tricks, lay down, roll over, play dead w/ legs in the air, balance the cookie on the nose then flip it, and high five. The choc. Hank is completely addicted to ice cubes, and has learned to open most types of coolers, snap locks and all, can't keep any closed with him around. If he ever figures a way to reach the freezer I'm in trouble, he knows they come from "that thar top box".
We taught the Lab I had when I was a kid to open the fridgerator and get beers for my Dad and his friends. The problem with that was he was to smart for his own good and when no one was home he would help himself to a snack when ever he wanted to. The tell tale sign was the tuperware lids on the floor and empty containers in the fridge. We ended up having to Velcroe the fridge closed to keep him out when no one was home. :lol:

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
redvdog said:
My oldest Vizsla will fetch a pop/water from the fridge and shut the door behind her:)
I tried to get mine to schlep wine from the cellar but he never learned how to pair it properly with the food being served.;)

Actually he dropped a couple and I decided I was courting disaster.:sad:

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
BarryPatch said:
I'm bored. I have a seasonal business and hunting's mostly over. What kinds of stupid tricks have you taught your dog? I need some ideas.

I taught my older dog to take the scrunchy off my wife's pony tail a couple years ago. He's quite surgical about it. He can even get those little elastic string hair ties. No amount of screaming will deter the attack. :D She got back at me this year. She tells him "fetch Robbie's hat" and he jumps up and snags my brim and runs away with it - usually they attack when I'm halfway through taking my boots off. She doesn't like me to wear the orange hat in the house - or in public for that matter.:lol:

I need some new tricks for the pup. Other than the nose flip she's lacking in basic entertainment skills.
C'mon, the nose flip is great.:D We're up to two treats at once (about 25% success rate). . . she got three one time.

A guy in our NAVHDA chapter had his older dog run down to a cooler and grab a Bud out of it and bring it back. . . his younger dog would get the pop.:lol:

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
My Flatcoated retriever used to sneeze on command.

Our Pitmix Mojo will go fricking nuts if you whistle at him.

The Beagle, He just lays there until somthings around to chase.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I taught my Brittany how to do crossword puzzles. What's so stupid?

She gets only 1/2 of them correct.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
PahtridgeHunter said:
Max already has German down, doesn't he?
He picked it up rather quickly.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts