Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The set up. I hunt at my parents place in Clarkston where they own 10 acres and I have a permenent tree stand about 15 feet high.

Sat out last night at my parents house. There has been deer signs out there
like crazy and my parents have seen a few big 8, 10 point bucks plus numerous does.

I got in the tree stand about 6:00 and it was blowing like crazy. I didn't think I would see a deer but hoped the wind would die down as the evening progressed. The sun is setting and the wind cooperates and dies down except for the occasional gust but I can handle this and hope the deer can too. Well I am just staring off in the distance not really paying attention and then I catch movement... Yes, a deer is walking right towards me. It looks a little small but I didn't care since I didn't get one last
year and need some meat. As the saying goes if it's brown it's going down.
It is facing me and the deer didn't see me and really wasn't too skittish as I am trying to get my release on and bow off my lap and into shooting position. Well I am ready, all he needs to do is turn. He is slowly turning broadside to me and when he finally makes his last step I draw and put the pin on the sweet spot and let it fly. He jumps and takes about 5 steps and I see the arrow stuck in the ground. I MISSED! It sailed right underneath
him! I can't believe it. ( I am going to blame the arrow because it was already used on one deer and it must be bent ;) Anyway, he can't figure out what is going on but he isn't running away! I figure I might as well try again. The issue is I don't keep my quiver on my bow and it is laying underneath me, so I am slowly trying to get another arrow and actually get one. I fully expect to look up and not see the deer but there he is. I say to myself if this deer is this stupid he deserves to die!

I come to shooting position again and he cooperates by turning broadside again and I let it fly. Smack! The sweet sound of a arrow hitting it's mark! He runs off bucking and I knew I hit him. I get down and I see the arrow in the ground just past him and there is blood all over it. I head to the house wait around for awhile and my dad and I head out. We found a blood trail but it was really faint. A few drops here and there and then it dried up. We walked around for another hour or so and no luck. I am
questioning myself now. Did I hit the deer too low or too far back just to cause a wound that would bleed only a little bit. We call it a night.

I went out this morning and found the faint blood trail right away and walked about 40 yds past where we stopped last night and found it!
Too bad the Coyote's got to him before I did. All that was left was the front quarter! I did hit the deer perfect though, right through lungs but I can't explain the lack of blood. I guess it must have been plugged by hair or something.
It ran about 200 yds from where I shot her and we stopped looking at about 150 yds.

BTW, it was a small doe, I would say around 120 pounds or less.

I hope to get back out next week.

·
Premium Member
7,379 Posts
it didn't go to waste - and the yots got a good meal - maybe their last for a while LOL - you'll get another shot - good luck and nice story - thanks for sharing...

ferg....

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
William,

Me too! I have killed a few deer and never have I seen the lack of blood from a shot like I had. Like I said in the story about questioning my shot placement but finding the deer this morning put my mind at ease as it was right through the chest at broadside. If anyone has any explanation i would like to hear them. I'm stumped :( .

-Dennis

·
Registered
550 Posts
I have shot deer a little high in the chest cavity and it took a while for the blood trail to really show. There was still some blood but it didn't really get heavy for a while. While gutting the deer it just poured out. It was a complete pass through with a bow......this happend to me twice.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Are you absolutely certain that your broadheads were sharp. That is a possibility. I have four arrows that are only used for hunting. I only practice with them after installing practice blades on the broadheads. You owe it to the deer to make sure your gear is set up properly. If your not sure about the sharpness of your broadheads, buy replacement blades and eliminate that possibility. All it takes is a few shots in a target to take the edge off a blade.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Duckman,

Maybe you are onto something. The angle down to the deer was not significant and the cavity may have taken awhile to fill up and "overflow" out the exit hole. When I found the deer there was no huge trail of blood leading to it. Maybe she died from internal bleeding when she laid down. All I know is that the shot looked good when I found her today but couldn't look to see if it nicked the lungs or heart because of the insides being outside from the coyote. There was blood everywhere and am assuming this was once the coyotes found her they ripped her open and that is when all the blood spilled out.

Freestone,

It was a brand new blade and it passed through her so I don't think a dull blade was the problem.

Thanks for the advice guys!
Just trying to determine what my mistakes were and try not to repeat them in the future.

BTW, I think some may be wondering why didn't look a little harder last night.
I would have looked a little harder for her last night but I didn't think there were any coyotes in the area and it was cold enough to leave her overnight.
I guess i have learned my lesson there.

-Dennis

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
ultradennis,

Sorry about the loss to the coyote's.

I have only one quick "no blood" story. I'll try not to bore everyone.

The 8pt I arrowed that day I hit broadside and he ended up with one deep slice in the upper portion of the hart, also the lungs were hit. The arrow made a clean pass thru and was lightly bloodied sticking in the ground. There was not a trace of blood in the area, no hair, no blood, nothing, just the bloodied arrow. We searched hard for any sign that he was bleeding. Nothing! The area was very thick and I ended up following his tracks on the ground for about 35yards before I found him. He had taken five or six hard bounds away and landed in a heap, dead. After we found him we noticed he had only lost about a 1/4 cup of blood that came out of the exit hole on the bottom side of where he lay. It took a good hour or more to find him. (only 35 yards away) At one time I was second guessing my shot placement with the lack of "ANY" blood being found.

Fred Bear once said..."If you've taken all that precious time getting ready and preparing to hunt, you should take plenty of time to make sure you do a throe tracking job"

Okay, Fred didn't say that I just made it up. ;) :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
781 Posts
Yep it happens a lot. If you hit the lungs high it takes a long time for them to fill with blood to the wound channel. Usually the best give away for a lung shot is a fine mist of blood which is often difficult to see without snow. I shot an eleven pointer a few years back with a muzzleloader , the deer was pushed and was moving when I shot him. I never found any blood although I clipped the heart and both lungs. I was questioning if I hit the deer, although I knew I did. I walked over a hill to a point where the deer trail crossed a fence and there he was, piled up with about a gallon of blood in a pool running out of his nose, he ran about 75 yards. Even with a perfect shot a deer will live for 10 or 15 seconds and in that time they can cover a lot of ground.
Good Luck out there! Eric

1 - 12 of 12 Posts