Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, what methods or presentations are you planning to give a go this year? What methods have you used on other people's boats you want to start using on yours?

Here's my top 3:

1) Wire dipseys - I've used them twice before. I found the superline dipseys less likely to tangle and so I've never run wire on my boat. I picked up a few more rod/reel combos this winter, and ater all the talk about wire dipseys here I'm going to dedicate two of them to wire. I never noticed the wire dipseys catching more fish than the superline, but I did love how you could feel every head shake. I'll have to decide for myself if wire is a keeper.

2) Planer boards - I've run a lot of high lines off of planer boards in the past, and on a buddy's boat last year we started running core off the planer boards when we had 3 guys in the boat. I absolutely loved this presentation, but I despise in-line planers because they make fighting the fish a lot more tricky and the planer seems to cause a lot of fish to get off. You can only run so many rods off the riggers and dipseys up by the boat. Eventually you've gotta run them way away from the boat. My buddy would run core and even slide divers off his planers to get more rods in the water, and I thought they produced quite a few hits. I picked up a planer mast and I'm planning to run core off the planers when there aren't a ton of boats in the water. I'll have to see for myself if they're really that good.

3) Two rigger setups - I've always run 4 downriggers and two dipseys. For additional rods I'd start stacking or adding another set of dipseys on the outside. (I get tangles when I run two dipseys per side unless I run the smaller ones on the outside, and then they're 300 feet back to get down 40 feet.) My new boat only has 2 riggers and I'm not planning to add more. If the riggers are hot I can stack on the two I have. If not, I can play with the dipseys and core a little more.

What're you guys going to give a go?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Beave.............Why are you having problems with two dipsys a side.
What are they dialed at and how far back?
We run three a side a lot with no tangles.

Give some details on how you set up

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
2 riggers and four dipseys are the way to go if you only plan on playing with 2 riggers...

A lot of guys fish stackers but personally I havn't had luck with them...

Set the inside dipseys on 0 or 1 and use a shorter rod such as an eight footer...
Set the outside dipseys on 3 and use a longer rod such as the 10 foot plus rods...Like the Cabelas Depthmaster rods or the Lurh Jenson Dipsey Rods (although the lurh jesnon rods are quite pricey)

If you don't have the two different size rods then you can use the multy position rod holders and set the insides ones up a little bit so they run closer to the side of the boat.

Make sure the outside ones are as close to parrellel to the water as possible...

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I'm running fishcatchers or spindoctors with flies behind them I usually get tangles if I'm running them too close to each other or trying to run at the same depth. I can get 2 on each side to work, but you've gotta be good at it.

I take a lot of people out on my boat who don't fish much and as a result I end up tending the rods more than I like. Ideally I like to drive and let them watch the rods. It only take a few minutes to teach someone to set a rigger.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I never really had the confidence to run three dipsy's on one side until I tried it a few times. We fish out of a 18'6" boat (fish and ski setup), and we ran 6 or 7 dipsys a few times last year. The first time I sent out the lines, I thought for sure we would end up with a mess, but it all works out. We set up a 'tree' in the center of the back just in front of the outboard motor (used the rear seat mount for the tree). We could run 3 dipsys off that, the center one at 0, each outer one at .5-1. The center one we usually ran the furthest back, 250-300. Each of the side ones, slightly less, 225-250. Then on each side of the boat we ran one off the back portion of the rail. This dipsy we set to 1.5 and ran back about 150-200. Normally we ran inline boards off the front of the rails, but on a couple of occasions or when lead wasnt doing anything at all and dipsys were working, we would set up dipsy on the front of the rail dialed in to 3.5 and let them back 100 or so. It looks bad from the surface, but it works fine. We also landed all of our fish on the side of the boat, so we would fight fish right up in between dipsys. We crossed a couple of lines, but never bad enough to have to pull a line.

This year we are adding a couple of downriggers so our main configuration will be 2 riggers, 4 dipsy's. And of a course the odd lead core for when nothing else is working. If we run 9 rods, it will probably be 2 riggers, 4 dipsy's, 2 inline boards, and one down the chute.

2 dipsys off each side is no problem as long as you dont do a lot of sharp zig zagging. Zig zagging is still plenty possible, just keep an eye on the lines. 3 dipsys off each side still isnt something I *like* to do, but I have done it a few times and know that it can be done, so I wouldnt be afraid to run them again. It takes some practice but once you get the hang of it, its all a snap.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Stuff I want to try or do this year:

-Limit out, at least once! We got a late start last year and never did limit. Our best numbers day was 6 fish.

-Catch all 5 species in one trip. We got 3 a couple times last year, and all 5 over the course of the year, but not all 5 in one trip.

-Use more lures. This could be bad, or good. We ended up fishing with confidence lures A LOT last year, and I think still had spoons at the end of the season we never put down in the water. Id like to get a better mix down. At the same time, I dont want to end up changing every 10 minutes and overthinking things.

-Not get shut out! We got shut out twice last year, once because my captain's stomach didnt agree with the rollers, and once because we just couldnt get anything to bite.

-Get better with lead. I still find myself misreading inline boards a lot.

-Try new techniques. Drop weights, maybe wire dipsys, bird cores off the riggers, etc.

-Downriggers! This year we are adding some downriggers to the spread, so I want to get good at running those. Plan on experiementing with sliders, stackers, MUPs, and maybe some lake trolls or flashers off the downrigger balls.

-Pull some musky lures. Some of the musky baits have to work on salmon and lakers. Gotta give a few of them a try. And who knows, maybe one of the 50lb muskies will decide to swim into our spread, too.

-Have fun every time out on the water!

·
IZ Kamakawiwo'ole lives!
5,133 Posts
....time on the water is #1 !!!

Also want to try the wire set ups.

Sliding dipsey will be a new tactic this season.

Would like to try handlining too. It's not practical in my boat but perhaps some "expert" on the subject would like to swap a trip on the river for one on the big lakes ??

Want to get more first-timers out with me to hook their first "Tuna".....nothing like that look on their face !

:D

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Gonna dream up some new color combinations for big lake flies...and give them silly names...hehe...

Like "Super Saiyan" and "Super Saiyan 2"

They are going to be HOT....haha...

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
I have been out of competive fishing for years so I'm going to get better educated. I went to a charter seminar Saturday got up at five to drive to Ludington just for one subject, Where Do Fish "Really Go in the Great Lakes--Using Microprocessor Technology to understand Fish Movement. This was the hook that reeled me in and to find out it was a study done on Lake Huron. It really open up my eyes but my riggers don't have that much cable on them!

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Quit smoking- done
Get back to school- working on it
Get outdoors more with my family this year- went ice fishing with my bro today ...
Ride my bicycle to Macinaw from Toledo right before Labor Day.-Training now
O and quit buying fishing lures....oops still working on that one:D

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Slide divers.

Also, just today I taped/painted a bunch of spoons and on a few of them I put colored tubing on the hooks(like spinners I make) to try to direct the strikes back toward the hooks and reduce knockoffs. We'll see.

I want to spend more time fishing with guys from this site, as its always been fun and I learn new things.

Off the big lake, I want to spend do more stream fishing at night with waking flies.

Butch

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Lol at Sixshooter.

I just got a new puter and was trying to figure out my password and get back on the site.

But it was also a test for you, Jim, and you passed:D

In my post above, I also forgot to mention that I want all those 3-6# chinooks that were so common last year, to be bigger this year.

Butch

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
This might sounds stupid but what is a "waking" fly?

Matt anytime you wanna go let me know...IF I can fit you in I will....Good company is half the fun to fishing...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Beave

Set you outside dipsy first. Dial it on 3 and set it back let?s say 200 feet. This rod holder should be slightly raised up maybe 45 degrees. And closest to the bow of the boat.

Set the middle dipsy next. Dial it on 2 and set it back 120 to 175 feet. This holder should be about 20 to 30 degrees above a parallel line to the water.

Set the inside dipsy and dial it on .5 to 1.5 and let it back 30 to 100 feet. ( always try to keep about 50 feet between each set up). This rod hoder should be about parallel to the water.

By staggering the rods even when a savage king hits the rods or line will not touch each other.

If a fish hits the outside and you have to reset it. Go to the opposite corner of your spread and let the dipsy out quickly. When it gets back to the 200 feet engage the reel and walk it back to the holder. If you try to set it by the other two dipsys you will end up with the mother of all tangles. It is the same way you would set an inline planer in order to get it past your other baits..

We use 10 foot 6 rods on the outside
10 foot in the middle
9 foot 6 on the inside

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
A waking fly is a big bushy dry fly that makes a commotion or wake when it's twitched, dragged or swung across the surface of the stream.

Butch

·
Banned
10,217 Posts
spend less time on the puter.

Fish the eyes on the Joe a bit more in May(since our DNR says I can't in Erie).

Do a little more surf fishing for steelhead!
:D

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
WoooHoooo....

You mean we get to look forward to seeing that chartreuse Speedo a little bit more on the beach in South Haven & St. Joe!?! :D :eek:

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Just don't try this in August when the fish are biting hard;) That would be a fun mess.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts