Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's winter and we're bored.

One of the fun things about fishing other people's boats is seeing the stuff they "collect". Some guys have 1000+ spoons and haven't run 3/4's of them in years. They may not have caught a fish on their Locos since 1998, but dangital, there are 100 of them the box in case they're ever the hot lure again. I've also been in the boat with guys who have like 50 different dodgers, spindoctors, and fishcatchers. Way over-doing it IMO, but they seem to think they need every one.

For me it's stickbaits and J-plugs. I'm pretty happy with my spoon collection at around 200. I'll buy a few more here and there, but when I go to the store I no longer look at the wall o' spoons and think "I don't have anything close to that". I can't make a trip to Gander Mountain or the sporting goods store without adding another Rapala or J-plug one to my collection though. And these are lures you don't run most of the summer. I think I'm up to 50+ Rapalas if you only count the salmon sized ones (I've got quite a collection of smaller ones for bass fishing), and I've gotta be pushing 30 on the J-Plugs. I've got about 2 of every color on the J-plugs. For some reason I have this need to have a couple of ever color and then a few of each size.

What do you just keep buying?

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Did you see those new Rapalas in glass shad and glass perch finish? There awesome looking, see through with iridescent crystal flash in the middle. I have finnally got myself to quit buying the stick baits and now repaint the ones I dont use to the colors I want, cut them and make them jointed and add my own glow inserts or flash or make those deep divers that are on sale all the time shallow diving walleye snatchers.

My weakness this year has been lanterns. I cant find my Northstar I bought last year and missed it so much I bought a wenzel just like it. I dont recomend the Wenzel since its on the workbench already for freezing up, I might have to get another northstar.:D

·
Super Moderator
10,175 Posts
Muskie baits:p I have well over 300 of them and run the same 12 almost every time out. And if those baits aren't working, the other 300 in the cabin probably won't either. :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
I will buy about 40 new spoons a year however if I buy 40 I'll throw out 40. I have ten Shimano boxes with 36 spoons in each.

I usually buy four each of every color. That includes spoons, J's, cranks, flashers, dodgers and flies

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Funny that this post is up, because i just got back from spending $70 on 2004 streaks. I have well over 500 spoons, do i run them all...nope, do i need anymore...nope...will i keep buying them...yep

·
Registered
348 Posts
Prety well set on spoons, but I did fall victum to cabin fever and ordered some of those mepps transparent frogs. I largemouth fish about once, maybe twice a year and allready have too much crap for them......whininthe.... :)

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Fly tying materials
spoons
stick baits
plugs
rods
reels
fishcatchers
spindoctors
dipsies

yaddi yaddi yaddi

I could go on forever I think...haha...I really don't NEED anything more than I already have...But need is not what keeps me fishing...hehe...

I would like to add a lead core set up to my arsenal. I have the line and extra rods I just need to hook myself up with a high capacity reel...Thinking cheap like a Penn309 should work...

·
Super Moderator
3,181 Posts
I have no problem walking by the spoon rack. I've got over 600 spoons and I hardly use any of them anymore.

My weakness is reels. I can't have enough reels for some stupid reason. I had just finished up buying a full set of the GL47LC's a couple of years ago and then got into the SG27's and 47's and now the SG47LCA's.....geez, they gotta quit comming up with newer reels or I'm gonna go broke. The reel problem (no pun intended) is that I can't sell my old ones for some stupid reason. It must be an obsession or something like that... ;) ;)

Oh, of course, you must get a new trolling rod with every freaking reel too........those darn Shimano TDR's are calling my name again.....:D

·
Registered
489 Posts
For me its a little of everything, too.

You never can have too much tackle. I go grocery shopping, I end up coming home with rapalas.

Its a good thing the gas stations I go to dont stock tackle. ;)

Getaway: Know of anyone with the TDR's on sale that I can order online from? Ive been watching BPS for 3 months, prices havent dropped once (someone mentioned they normally have a spring sale, I know I havent missed it). I know a lot of the shops have them on sale from time to time, but id rather not have to drive too far (im lazy).

·
Super Moderator
10,562 Posts
Sounds like 10% of the fisherman buy 90% of the tackle.:D LOL

Yeah those glass Raps got me too. The perch, purple perch, and kinda clear one with flash are awesome. NEW for 2004 in deep divers too! Got all those too already. Over $130.00 in the glass alone.:eek: Lets see at 4.99 each that's 25 or so glass ones.

Then the floaters, jerks, bombers, t-sticks, rogues, oh my! :cool:

·
Super Moderator
3,181 Posts
jaid, the best price I have ever found is $29.95 at Bass Pro. Usually around this time of year. Keep your eyes peeled.

I've never bought them on-line. I usually take an annual trip to BP for some goodies and a fishing fix..:D :D

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
rods, reel, lures, etc. I don't need anymore fishing stuff, but that doesn't stop me from buying more.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
My weakness has always been rods. Every length and action you could imagine. Then I got into buying custom rods which made it even worse. Not only are they more expensive but any rod you can dream up they can make.

I had too take a picture of them all for my homeowners insurance, I think it took 14 pictures to get them all.

It's fun though isn't it,

Mitch

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I have a thing for spoons big time! I had a experience once many moons ago, fish were taking one pattern of spoon. I didnt have it and tried to get close but it didnt work, so every year I buy two of everycolor streak. I limit it to magnum only. Its weird.
Opps almost forgot Im starting to develop a reel fetish! :D

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
Originally posted by jaid
Ive been watching BPS for 3 months, prices havent dropped once (someone mentioned they normally have a spring sale, I know I havent missed it).

Check out Bass Pro the weekend of March 5,6,7. I almost picked up a couple reels last week, but the guy told me to hold off until then if I could-thats when their big sale is scheduled...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Crankbaits for trolling. I used to buy every silver herringbone hot'n'tot I saw. I have alot still in the box I'm afraid to fish them unless it is a last option.

Now I've found the Brad's Wigglers that has the colors I like in the Wiggle Wart style, I'm buy them whenever I find them.

Of course spoons, but I've become stuck on the same 15 or so spoons that are regulars. I don't buy many of them any more.

Rods and reels, I fish by myself but have enough to run 4 riggers, two dipseys and two lead lines. I might take someone out with me on 1 out of 3 trips.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts