Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last few years I have noticed a change in the geese after they have been gunned. Where I live we typically have a good share of oat fields covered over fresh seed alfalfa.

After the first week or so of season and the birds have been gunned a few times over these wheat or oat stubble fields they make a move. They all go to Dirt, winter wheat or short cut alfalfa. Even our "sanctuary" oat fields are no longer holding geese. All of our geese now are in the above mentioned fields.

Hypothesis: I truly think that geese from the air see the brown of stubble along ways away. After being gunned in these brown fields they associate stubble with danger. Hence they move to short green fields whereas they are tough to hide on. Thoughts?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Partly agree, I think it has a lot to do with resident geese that have been hunted for 5 months of the year with each flock having a bird or two in it that's pushing 7-10 years old. Do the math and that's 35-50 months of being hunted on a daily basis and they're still flying.

I've noticed over the past several years that layout blinds aren't nearly as effective as the used to be, geese are spotting them with more and more regularity and ease.

Hence the reason I think that they may pick fields w/little to no stubble, they know there aren't any blinds hiding out there.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Kinda makes me glad that I hunt a dirt field.............but blind concealment is a pain!!!

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
We are still getting birds in the stubble. We are'nt laying out now we are hiding in the standing corn. Got 11 this morning. Note......If the guy that drives the pewter colored chevy pick truck and his big mouthed buddy reads this I just want you to know that I can't wait till we run into each other face to face.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
We shot 2 geese Saturday morning with the layout blinds. Saturday afternoon, we stopped using the layout blinds and shot 10. This morning we left the layout blinds out again and shot 19. To sum things up, the layout blinds are going back in the garage for the rest of the season. I wish I could post pictures, but I don't know how to on this site.

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1 fish, I think you are right on the old geese. They have played the game many many times.

Glad some people agree. I have said for years that it isnt, the decoys its the concealment. I truly believe that if you are running a high quality deke(we run FFDs) Avery, hardcore, FA etc etc They dont make the geese flare. I truly believe 99% of the time it is the blinds that flare geese.

But when hunting these dirt fields or short WW the problem is most times you have to move off of the X. That adds a challenge in itself drawing them away from the x and within range of fence row, corn or high weedy patch in the field.

P.S. KLR you have that stupid dirt field back. Only way I am hunting that BIG SOB again is with a deer rifle. Them geese are scared of anyone they aint flyin in with. J/K bud thanks for the generosity.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have been having problems with the blinds from time to time. Two years ago I put grass on them and it was worse. this year I took spray paint and added a lot of flat brown and flat black to the grass. finally have the color right. shot 9 birds saturday, should have shot our limit but can't count!!!!! no flaring birds, no circling two or three times before making a comitment. I also started setting the blinds back a little further in the spread. Still lay under Super magnum Shells in dirt feilds though.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
P.S. KLR you can have that stupid dirt field back. Only way I am hunting that BIG SOB again is with a deer rifle. Them geese are scared of anyone they aint flyin in with. J/K bud thanks for the generosity.

I always had my best luck there using a Super Mag shell or (OMG) burlap.

Vegetation is pretty scarce out there right now- a frickn' rabbit would have to pack a lunch if it was planning on crossing that field :lol:

I think the that's why the birds are using it- 155 acres is a good size patch of dirt and there is NO place to hide. Anything else show upafter you called??

·
Registered
721 Posts
We stil rely mostly on layout blinds, just that we have to be much more aware of having them camo'd up to match the field we're in. It's amazing how one wheat field can differ in color from another (i.e. no using the same camo from the day before that you put on in a different field).

I've also been using dekes to hide the blind on all sides. This seems to help quite a bit actually. Pretty much the same concept that we used to use silos for, but determined that the silos actually flare more geese than they help with.

Heck a few times we've contemplated digging shallow pits and burying the blinds to get them level, but that kinda defeats the reason we spent the money on them in the first place!!!

Point being I guess that you can still get them in the stubble, as always it helps if it's the destination field, but you just have to be concious of making sure you camo up the blind really well. Here's a pic I posted earlier, but gives a little bit of an idea of what I'm talking about

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I always had my best luck there using a Super Mag shell or (OMG) burlap.

Vegetation is pretty scarce out there right now- a frickn' rabbit would have to pack a lunch if it was planning on crossing that field :lol:

I think the that's why the birds are using it- 155 acres is a good size patch of dirt and there is NO place to hide. Anything else show upafter you called??

Thats the point of my post, they move to the places that they feel they cannot be gunned in. Although KLR there is a ton of grain in that field yet I was suprised.

No No more showed up thank goodness, didnt need any more shots to the ol confidence.

If we hunt that together, I hope it is super FOGGY.

I am seriously thinking about buying a new collection of layout blinds in Nat Gear, that stuff would be awesome out there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts