Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my problem is i have a 120 acers all to myself and im struggle to see deer i bait them and i have trail cams up but my problem is i have on the property a swamp area a field next to corn good pine trees and falling timber. this property has everything but where ever i sit i can not see deer and its such a pain in the butt to get in there without spooking deer. does anyone have any advice on what to do or anything? I see deer on trail cams just never when i sit. Please help

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Try posting an overhead pic. With those few details I would guess deer bed in corn, swamp, and fallen timber and travel back and forth to corn and browse areas within fallen timber. Pick a pine between corn and swamp. Scout/stalk at midday to find a heavily used trail.

·
Inscrutable Mastermind
5,361 Posts
Here is a thread on how to post aerial views:

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=314348

You take a screen shot using CTRL-PrtSC. Paste it in a PAINT program. SAVE AS a .JPG file. Upload that picture to a free Photobucket account, then post it here in IMG code.

If you are not seeing deer when you know the property is holding them it is because you are pressuring them. How many sits have you had and how many times have you been out there since Sept? Have does seen you in or near your stand this year or previous years?

It surely is hard to access stands without bumping deer, but it is essential if you want to see deer.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Sounds like you already have your answer. You're spooking too many deer on your way to the stand. Add in a few extra trips out there to put down bait and check trail cams and I'm not surprised you're not seeing deer!

I've never understood why guys hunting farm land use bait? You're surrounded by food, so what is adding more food to the situation going to do? You need to be providing them with shelter and hunting it as sneaky as you can! Don't let the deer know they're being hunted. Make sure you have a few spots on the outside of the property that are easy to get to. Start outside and work your way in as the season wears on. If you can't get inside without spooking deer, stay on the outside until you get really desperate.

·
Registered
35,751 Posts
It won't help you this year but take a chain saw, lopers and a rake in there this winter and spring. Make yourself access and exit trails in there so you can take advantage of wind direction. Pile brush to divert deer around where you don't want them and trails that you want them to use. You can enhance their trail systems by spraying a small ribbon of round up to direct them where you want.

You can hinge cut certain areas for bedding and make beds in there for them. Youtube has videos on how to do that. Search Jim Ward buck beds. There are lots of things you can do that takes just a little bit of money and a lot of off season time to create a maze and bedding situation that favors you and not the deer.

Jeff Sturgis has a great book out on deer hunting, purchase a copy of it. Spend the winter reading it, make a plan and implement it. You will reap the rewards of your efforts for years to come. Many of the successful guys use strategies like habitat manipulation to aid them in killing their deer. I know I do. Deer hunters luck is when preparation meets opportunity. It sounds like you just are a little short on preparation. That's OK since you can fix it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts