Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Goldeneyes that is! Day 1 of my JigNBlast weekend is in the books. Had quite a few ge's divebomb the spread this morning right before shooting time, then the most interesting thin happened. 3 mallards land in the diver spread and they are looking around as if wondering where they took a wrong turn. At this point my lab has them marked and just waiting for me to pull the trigger. They proceed to swim thru the decoys only about 15ft or so from us. They quickly aproach one of the bluebill decoys and all 3 charge him and what looked like they hit it with their chest and wings. All the ge's took off but worked their way bck in over the first half hour of shooting time. The mallards left after that and never returned. All this action before shooting time.I managed to take 3 drake ge's. Nothing flew after the first hour. The weather must have been too harsh for even the ducks. I think the attack was a sign to pull the bb's and replace them with a few mallards for round 2 tomorrow.As for the jigging portion, just a few small fish looking at the bait. Hit a lake that I did well with the gills this past summer. Just going to have to put the time in to find them.Did I mention the conditions were nasty today and loved every minute of it too!!I'll post pics on Monday.Almost forgot tomention that I destroyed my waders. Ice puntured and shredded one of the boots. Luckily it happened when I arrived back at the launch and was trying to clear ice near shore to get the boat in. Talk about ice, there was enough ice on everything to to cover a small pond. Anyone need some ice for their pond?

·
Registered
774 Posts
luckyyy.... i couldn't get those little golden-eyed buggers to commit this morning. had a few buzz the spread, but i couldn't see them coming thru all the snow until the last second... but you sure can't mistake that sound.

i don't think they liked the mojo in the mallard spread... trying tomorrow without it. good luck to ya. :chillin:

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This morning looked as if it was going to be really ducky, but the wind calmed down, the sun came out, and the ducks never showed up. Every once in a while I would catch a glimps of ducks loafing so I packed up and decided to go for a walk. About 10-15 mins into the walk I jump shot what would be my furst and only duck of the day as well as the last duck of the season. Anyone care to guess the duck that flew up from behind a tree that hanging over the water? And no, it wasn't a Can either:).

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
since classroom particopation is at an all time low i'll just say it. WOOD DUCK! See ya next Fall.

·
Registered
774 Posts
since classroom particopation is at an all time low i'll just say it. WOOD DUCK! See ya next Fall.
ha, thats what i was thinking. i was surprised to see one last weekend. thought i heard a familiar squeal once today too but never did see one.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pics

2 of 3 GE's on Saturday

Wood Duck on Sunday

Jake still as eager to hunt on the last day of the season as he was on the first day of the season.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts