Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

· Registered
579 Posts
COOL! My Marlin 1894 44 magnum is here to stay!

· Registered
7,839 Posts
Wish 45-70 was allowed. So stupid it's not.

Reactions: 357Maximum

· Registered
72 Posts
Without the prospect of APR's or a bait ban, I played devils advocate for making the whole LP into a shotgun zone, as a way to somehow reduce the 70% yearling buck harvest in my area. But since it appears that both expanded APR's and bait bans are becoming more likely, I emailed the powers that be in Lansing the following...

It appears that the rule allowing straight wall cartridges in the SLP is up for renewal. I certainly hope that you are all for making this a permanent change. The excitement for the rule is obvious, as is the money that goes to Pittman/Robertson, due to the increase in sales. It would be an injustice to allow this rule to lapse.

May I suggest taking the rule one step further. Given the ballistics comparison between modern inline muzzleloaders, high tech slug guns and the 30-30 rifle, there's virtually no reason for the incredibly popular 30-30 not to be included on the "legal cartridge list" in the SLP, even if not straight walled. When sighted in at zero at 100 yards, the 30-30 drops over 17" at 250 yards. When sighted in zero at 150 yards, the 30-30 drops over 5 feet at 300 yards! That's on par with modern shotgun slugs and ML's. And if you're really hoping to attract more buzz and excitement, include the popular 45/70 on the "legal cartridge" list. The .44 mag, which is legal, drops 40" at 250 yards when sighted in at 50 yards. But the 45/70 drops 57" at 250 yards when sighted in at 50 yards, with the heavier bullets. Which is safer in the SLP?

61 - 78 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.