Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
In all seriousness, they should add the .35 Rem, 30/30 and 45/70 too. Then while they're at it, just combine regular firearms and ML season into one "all firearms season", since many modern ML's are lethal to ranges farther than many straight walls. Given so many hunters went out and bought these guns in the SLP, just let them use them during the December ML season dates too. There's no reason for a separate ML season anymore, anywhere in the state. For the couple 100 or maybe couple 1000 guys left who still use side lock's, they can use them in the "all firearms season" anyway.

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
Received nice note from MUCC that appears this will be renewed with possibility of several new calibers yet to be decided. Hope so.
Without the prospect of APR's or a bait ban, I played devils advocate for making the whole LP into a shotgun zone, as a way to somehow reduce the 70% yearling buck harvest in my area. But since it appears that both expanded APR's and bait bans are becoming more likely, I emailed the powers that be in Lansing the following...

It appears that the rule allowing straight wall cartridges in the SLP is up for renewal. I certainly hope that you are all for making this a permanent change. The excitement for the rule is obvious, as is the money that goes to Pittman/Robertson, due to the increase in sales. It would be an injustice to allow this rule to lapse.

May I suggest taking the rule one step further. Given the ballistics comparison between modern inline muzzleloaders, high tech slug guns and the 30-30 rifle, there's virtually no reason for the incredibly popular 30-30 not to be included on the "legal cartridge list" in the SLP, even if not straight walled. When sighted in at zero at 100 yards, the 30-30 drops over 17" at 250 yards. When sighted in zero at 150 yards, the 30-30 drops over 5 feet at 300 yards! That's on par with modern shotgun slugs and ML's. And if you're really hoping to attract more buzz and excitement, include the popular 45/70 on the "legal cartridge" list. The .44 mag, which is legal, drops 40" at 250 yards when sighted in at 50 yards. But the 45/70 drops 57" at 250 yards when sighted in at 50 yards, with the heavier bullets. Which is safer in the SLP?

·
Registered
10,033 Posts

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
I emailed my state senator, Dale Zorn, and my state rep, Jason Sheppard, today. If I get answers I will post them here. It would be a really good idea for everyone who would like to see these cartridges remain in use to contact your senators and reps. Making noise is good.
If you get an answer and you reply, please have them consider 30-30's and the 45/70 too. Both would be acceptable in the SLP and no greater safety risk than a modern inline ML, in my opinion.

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
I have mixed feelings here. I do agree that there are several other calibers that would be a good fit for the SLP. I am not sure that should be pushed right now. I am leaning towards just making the current law permanent, then, seeking to have it expanded. Kinda like a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
That's cool. As long as you have someone's ear, get the re-up of the current rules and then possibly add a select few cartridges in the future.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.