Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sent an email to the NRC and received this answer this morning:

"That subsection (f), of Wildlife Conservation Order section 3.100 is due to be rescinded on May 12, 2017. I have forwarded your email on to the Wildlife Division to respond to your questions. Thank you."

There was no indication that it will be renewed so it is my belief that we need to raise our voices to the Wildlife Division, our MI representatives, MUCC, retailers, Conservation Clubs etc to get this regulation finalized into regulation. There is no logical reason to rescind this regulation and it is also my belief DNR will fight to allow this to be rescinded since they fought the rule for five years prior to passing of three year trial.

Time to raise your voice fellow hunters!
Muddy

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just received reply from DNR today and this will be before the NRC in April and May meetings:

Thank you for contacting the Department of Natural Resources.

The regulations for straight-walled cartridge use in the limited firearms deer zone were only set in place for three years and are now subject to review. This topic is on Natural Resources Commission agendas for this spring. It will be discussed at the following:

• Natural Resources Commission Meeting, April 13, 2017, at the MSU Diagnostic Center, 4125 Beaumont Road, Lansing MI 48910

• Natural Resources Commission Meeting, May 11, 2017, West Shore Community College, Administrative and Conference Building, North Lounge, Scottville, MI 49454
The complete agendas for these meetings will be available two to three weeks before they take place and can be found at www.mi.gov/nrc. Typically, the Policy Committee on Wildlife and Fisheries portion of the meeting begins at 1:00 p.m. and public comment takes place two or three hours later. You can also find out exact times prior to the meeting by contacting Executive Assistant to the NRC, Cheryl Nelson, at 517-284-6237 or [email protected]. In addition, you can send Cheryl your feedback about the topic in advance of the meeting.
Thank you for your interest in deer hunting and regulations.

Now it is up to us to express our desire either at the NRC meetings or written submittal. I also suggest contacting your MI representatives to gain their support as well.
Muddy

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
It sure hope it gets the 67% approval needed in the survey.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Suggested posting for clubs, retail etc, revise, modify as desired:

Straight Wall Rifle Regulation Southern Shotgun Zone Expires on May 12, 2017
The regulations for straight-walled cartridge use in the limited firearms deer zone were only set in place for three years and are now subject to review.

This topic is on Natural Resources Commission agendas for this spring. It will be discussed at the following:
· Natural Resources Commission Meeting, April 13, 2017, at the MSU Diagnostic Center, 4125 Beaumont Road, Lansing MI 48910

· Natural Resources Commission Meeting, May 11, 2017, West Shore Community College, Administrative and Conference Building, North Lounge, Scottville, MI 49454

The complete agendas for these meetings will be available two to three weeks before they take place and can be found at www.mi.gov/nrc. Typically, the Policy Committee on Wildlife and Fisheries portion of the meeting begins at 1:00 p.m. and public comment takes place two or three hours later. You can also find out exact times prior to the meeting by contacting Executive Assistant to the NRC, Cheryl Nelson, at 517-284-6237 or [email protected]. In addition, you can send Cheryl your feedback about the topic in advance of the meeting.

================================================================================
Please consider submitting comments in favor of continuation of the straight wall firearm in southern shotgun zone either at the meetings or at the NRC email address above. Comments could include discussion that this rule has allowed youth, women, aging hunters to become more interested in deer hunting by shooting .357 Mag, .44 Mag etc. versus high recoil slugs. The rule also has had considerable economic impact to the Pittman–Robertson Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Act from firearm sales and ammunition which benefits all wildlife.

In addition, consider adding the highlighted calibers to the rule to be consistent with Ohio:

http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/hunting...trapping-regulations/deer-hunting-regulations

“Straight-walled cartridge rifles in the following calibers: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .450 Marlin, .454 Casull, .460 Smith & Wesson, .45-70, .45-90, .45-110, .475 Linebaugh, .50-70, .50- 90, .50-100, .50-110, and .500 Smith & Wesson.”

Calibers like .35 Remington, 30-30 Winchester, 45-70 Govt all should be considered for inclusion as well.

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
In all seriousness, they should add the .35 Rem, 30/30 and 45/70 too. Then while they're at it, just combine regular firearms and ML season into one "all firearms season", since many modern ML's are lethal to ranges farther than many straight walls. Given so many hunters went out and bought these guns in the SLP, just let them use them during the December ML season dates too. There's no reason for a separate ML season anymore, anywhere in the state. For the couple 100 or maybe couple 1000 guys left who still use side lock's, they can use them in the "all firearms season" anyway.

·
Registered
40,744 Posts
In all seriousness, they should add the .35 Rem, 30/30 and 45/70 too. Then while they're at it, just combine regular firearms and ML season into one "all firearms season", since many modern ML's are lethal to ranges farther than many straight walls. Given so many hunters went out and bought these guns in the SLP, just let them use them during the December ML season dates too. There's no reason for a separate ML season anymore, anywhere in the state. For the couple 100 or maybe couple 1000 guys left who still use side lock's, they can use them in the "all firearms season" anyway.
They should also allow any centerfire rifle in any peninsula 24 hours per day 365 days per year where bTB or CWD is found or during any open deer season until that peninsula is disease free. No reason to spare any deer in any disease ridden peninsulas. Allowing these changes will help with recruitment plus will allow hunters to get afield on days other than November 15th.

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
Received nice note from MUCC that appears this will be renewed with possibility of several new calibers yet to be decided. Hope so.
Without the prospect of APR's or a bait ban, I played devils advocate for making the whole LP into a shotgun zone, as a way to somehow reduce the 70% yearling buck harvest in my area. But since it appears that both expanded APR's and bait bans are becoming more likely, I emailed the powers that be in Lansing the following...

It appears that the rule allowing straight wall cartridges in the SLP is up for renewal. I certainly hope that you are all for making this a permanent change. The excitement for the rule is obvious, as is the money that goes to Pittman/Robertson, due to the increase in sales. It would be an injustice to allow this rule to lapse.

May I suggest taking the rule one step further. Given the ballistics comparison between modern inline muzzleloaders, high tech slug guns and the 30-30 rifle, there's virtually no reason for the incredibly popular 30-30 not to be included on the "legal cartridge list" in the SLP, even if not straight walled. When sighted in at zero at 100 yards, the 30-30 drops over 17" at 250 yards. When sighted in zero at 150 yards, the 30-30 drops over 5 feet at 300 yards! That's on par with modern shotgun slugs and ML's. And if you're really hoping to attract more buzz and excitement, include the popular 45/70 on the "legal cartridge" list. The .44 mag, which is legal, drops 40" at 250 yards when sighted in at 50 yards. But the 45/70 drops 57" at 250 yards when sighted in at 50 yards, with the heavier bullets. Which is safer in the SLP?

·
Registered
22,743 Posts
Adding bullet weights to claimed trajectory per each caliber would help,maybe.
As well as potential amoung calibers to max out range on deer sized game when wildcatting them.

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Sub'd to thread for future info.

I hunt out of the zone mostly but including 45-70 would push a lever gun to the top of my list.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Wow, glad I didn't drop a bundle yet on the new rifle I want, totally sick of my 870 separating my Shoulder Evey year!

I just received reply from DNR today and this will be before the NRC in April and May meetings:

Thank you for contacting the Department of Natural Resources.

The regulations for straight-walled cartridge use in the limited firearms deer zone were only set in place for three years and are now subject to review. This topic is on Natural Resources Commission agendas for this spring. It will be discussed at the following:

• Natural Resources Commission Meeting, April 13, 2017, at the MSU Diagnostic Center, 4125 Beaumont Road, Lansing MI 48910

• Natural Resources Commission Meeting, May 11, 2017, West Shore Community College, Administrative and Conference Building, North Lounge, Scottville, MI 49454

Now it is up to us to express our desire either at the NRC meetings or written submittal. I also suggest contacting your MI representatives to gain their support as well.
Muddy

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.