Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wne tout with my uncle preditor calling tonight. started calling 1/2 hour before dark. called and called untill it was about 45 mins after dark then shinned the spotlight for the 3rd time across the field. eyes at 100 yrds, it saw the light and started running. it was a grey fox. i shot and didnt think i hit it. so we walked over to the feild edge on the other side to look for blood. while we were lookin we heard fox barks at 50 yards into the woods and getting closer every bark. so we sat down at the edge of the field and started calling again after we were walkin around shining and talkin. we called for about a minute and turned the light on along the field edge. holy ****!! here comes a red fox running full bore at us only 15 yrds away. when he seen the light he turned 180 and took off. i found him in the scope and shot. damnit! missed again. i think i shot over him that time cause it was too close for my 22 mag which is zeroed at 100yrds. from now on im using my shot gun and i think ill wait for some snow. tomorrow im setting some traps for the buggers that keep stealing my muskrat bait. i put 2 out in 1 area every night and they are always gettin em when im not around. ill get em with traps now that they are comforatble getting free meals!

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks bvw. ive heard to keep calling even after u shoot, and i guess that after tonight ill belive that.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Varminthunter,

Cool story. Hey, at least you made a memory and learned some lessons from actual experience..and that aint all bad in my book! ;)

·
Registered
635 Posts
Did you have a color over the spotlight lens, and if so which color?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
started out with a red lens but wasnt satisfied with the disatnce we could see since it was only like 15yrds. and we were hunting a field edge of a huge field surrounded by woods.so we took the lens off and used the lights with no lens, thats why they ran as soon as we turned it on. the lens was one i made-a red coffe can lid.i dont know if the real lenses are able to project light further or not.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
When you were hitting them with the white light did you hit them diretly? If you keep them in the halo sometimes it will make a differenece. Great story, can't beat the action regardless of the outcome. Some of my favorite hunts we got nothing.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
vh,

Get some red cellephane (suran wrap) and cover the lens. It won't knock the power of the light down as much. Coffee can lid is a little to thick IMO.

Joe

·
Registered
250 Posts
I tried some tail light repair tape and it dulled it down a bit but Im sure it would work better than the lid.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks alot for all the posts guys in goin right now to try the saran wrap on the light. ya even tho we didnt get one last night it was our most exciting hunt yet and a few new things we tried worked out great.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
My dad and I took our spotlight, took it apart, then we just simply took a red sharpie and colored the lens, the one time that we called something in, it didnt scare them, and for the record, we didnt get either of the two animals.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts