Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the best way to keep waxies alive for a long time?

I put mine in the fridge and they seem to go dormant. I had to leave them overnight at room temp before they would wiggle again and many never woke up. Is it better to just leave them at room temp?

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
I believe their was another thread about storeing waxies not to long ago, but seem's I can never get a link to work right, I will post again what I do. I either put them above the fridge inside to where it's room temp, or I put them in the basement, where it is somewhat warm, but not to warm. Doing this seem's to keep my waxies alive for quite some time, and if a few do die (black ones), I pick them out. Continous checking them on a daily basis is the ideal. I have noticed that in the past that once one waxie dies, it don't take long for the other's to die as well.

Hope this help's.

·
Administrator
27,094 Posts
Suppose to be stored at 50-60 degrees. I do leave mine in the fridge which is about 40-45 degrees. Don't have anyplace in the house 50-60 so I do the next best thing.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have good luck keeping them in a North windowsill , between the widow and curtin.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I leave them at room temp and they last still a long time. I still have approx. 80% of them alive that I bought December 22nd.

Zob

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I'll try the coolest spot I have outside the fridge. Unfortuantely I left mine at my parents house and my mom threw them out :mad: Also I bought some that were mostly dead already. Oh well.

What about storing spikes? Seems like they wake up pretty good from their cold sleep in the refridgerator.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts