Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aside from slotted decoy bags, are there any ways to store pintail decoys without having the "tail feathers" poke holes in decoy bags? The bag I have my pintail seeks in is starting to look like Swiss cheese.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
They seem like more hassle then what they are worth having to baby the tails. Any sprig I have ever shot came in fine to mallards. Slotted bag seems like your best option but maybe someone out there knows a trick or two. Canvas bag with mesh bottom maybe?

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They seem like more hassle then what they are worth having to baby the tails. Any sprig I have ever shot came in fine to mallards. Slotted bag seems like your best option but maybe someone out there knows a trick or two. Canvas bag with mesh bottom maybe?
I don't have them to draw pintails, more for the bright white color to draw birds and cause I got a good deal on them. Pretty much any puddler that's not a mallard that's in my collection I bought because I got a good deal on them.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
185 Posts
I cut the tails off mine years ago. Not so much to protect the bags, but to make them not so prone to hang up in the bag when I'm trying to get them out in the morning. The few pintails I have shot over the years have rarely had much of a tail anyway, so I can't imagine the birds would care.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks! Off they go.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Yup...what every one said...cut them off. Dekes are made with long tails in order to sell dekes, not fool birds. Especially in this part of the country, where the long tails are practically non-existent.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
like others have said - cut them off. Does not matter one single bit. I do like a little white in the spead - doesn't matter if it's pintail, the white of a cottontop, or a stray diver or two. Won't matter one bit.

What I can tell you is that is you ****can decoy bags and go to jet sleds, your problem is moot. I 5000% swear by them. Other than slotted bags for the high-priced blocks, everything of mine sits in jet sleds awaiting deployment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts