Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
7,011 Posts
It felt like I was comforting the deer especially when cars would drive by, he would get agitated and try to get up and that was an ugly flopping experience. I would talk softly and place my hand on his neck. Was it comforting? I can't say for sure. Some of it was certainly self serving as it did comfort me and I can acknowledge that. One of the fellas above commented on controlling the head of a wild animal and in retrospect, that probably had a lot to do with it as well. I hope that I offered some comfort to the animal and I feel that I did but truthfully, I never know.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Well said, I appreciate all of it.

Hunting and respecting the quarry as much as we all do presents a very real empathetic dichotomy. We're all living on borrowed time and it's the emotions we feel that makes the memories we cherish.

Reactions: Macs13

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I don't know how so many deer get hit by cars. Are people not aware of their surroundings? Not slowing down if they see deer? What is it, seriously?

I've never even remotely been close to hitting a deer. Of course I know there are situations that will be impossible to avoid, but the number of dead deer by the roads baffles me.
A lot probably has to do with their noses in their phones. I’ve also never hit one

·
Registered
138 Posts
I hit one just last week which is the 3rd one.
Brush line ran along a field almost to the road right of way. By the time I saw the big doe clear the brush at an all out run nothing I could do.
Luckily no one was behind us, she came over the hood airborne just missed the windshield and up and over the roof.
We live on a busy blacktop road and have deer hit every year in front of our place. I have always wanted to plant a few rows of shrubs to block the view into one of our hay fields but haven’t done it as it would also make it harder for folks to see deer before they try crossing the road.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I don't know how so many deer get hit by cars. Are people not aware of their surroundings? Not slowing down if they see deer? What is it, seriously?

I've never even remotely been close to hitting a deer. Of course I know there are situations that will be impossible to avoid, but the number of dead deer by the roads baffles me.
You have got to be kidding me! I have had 5 "collisions" with deer. The first one happened on Thanksgiving many years ago. I had just gotten done hunting and started driving up a dirt road. I saw several deer running in the field ahead of me about 1/4 mile off the road. It never occurred to me that one of them would run right into the rear quarter panel of my truck. I had another jump up from the ditch and hit the fender, then proceed to roll down the passenger side of the truck and cause my mirror to come through the side window of the truck. I never saw that deer at all. I got another one when I came over the top of a hill while driving down the highway. There was a deer standing on the side of the road and when I crested the hill it started to head into the woods. I hit the brakes and slowed down considerably but for some reason it turned around and decided it wanted to cross the road instead. I caught it squarely in the grill. All 3 of these happened in daylight. I hit 2 more at night where they just appeared in front of me with no warning. I am almost paranoid about deer and watch very closely while driving. Quite often there is nothing you can do about it.
If you do a lot of driving in deer areas and have never hit a deer consider yourself fortunate.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Wouldn't you know it.... this little guy was laying in the road, in a lane of traffic, after getting hit tonight. He was hit on the hip and was a goner. I stopped the Denali, put on the flashers, and made sure nobody else would hit him for the sake of the deer and the motorists. Naturally, I've got a rifle, shotgun, revolver, and currently 2 crossbows in the truck with me, but of course I'm not legally allowed to put the deer out of his misery and it was in a fairly residential area, so I waited for the cops (eventually wound up being a CO that responded).

If you've never spent 2 hours sitting in a lane of traffic while petting, talking to, and singing lullabies to a dying deer, consider yourself lucky. To say that I'm bummed out this evening is an understatement. The CO had to put 2 rounds in him - little guy was a fighter - and I have ANOTHER roadkill tag deer to deal with. I just couldn't bring myself to drag him off to the weeds (and he still had a lot of fight in his other 3 legs) and then the nice old couple across the street came out and told me about watching him grow up all year and they see him every evening, etc. This one really bummed me out. I did everything I could, short of risking my own legal standing by putting him down myself. Just thought I'd share. Video won't load but here's a few pics from a crap angle. View attachment 800232 View attachment 800233 View attachment 800234

I know how you felt. I had a similar situation on a busy intersection where a small deer was laying right in the middle of the road in the intersection as I drove up there was people all around trying to calm the deer down. I saw that it was spine hit so I walked up to it took my pocket knife out and quickly stapped it in the lung. Well you should have herd all the OOOOH's . About less than a minute the deer spent his last breth. So I draged it off the road and over the enbanckment down by a creek. Needless to say nobody called the police and the rush hour traffic continued. I have been stabing deer in the lungs for many a wounded deer, it works every time, you just have to be careful of them kicking feet !

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I know how you felt. I had a similar situation on a busy intersection where a small deer was laying right in the middle of the road in the intersection as I drove up there was people all around trying to calm the deer down. I saw that it was spine hit so I walked up to it took my pocket knife out and quickly stapped it in the lung. Well you should have herd all the OOOOH's . About less than a minute the deer spent his last breth. So I draged it off the road and over the enbanckment down by a creek. Needless to say nobody called the police and the rush hour traffic continued. I have been stabing deer in the lungs for many a wounded deer, it works every time, you just have to be careful of them kicking feet !
Next time that's the plan of action for sure.

·
Registered
20,344 Posts
Please sir, do feel free to elaborate. This sounds like one worth hearing.
Oh no!

Bang! Doe drops like a well hit deer should. Spent brass did not eject, The teeter totter that kicks it was too stiff on it's pivot point. I cleared the jam, got a round chambered and watched her through the scope. Upper front leg leg that was extended droops to ground and it's over. Lights out.
I checked the area I'd been watching again and...
Jumbo buck at a around the 210 yard mark peeks out of the swamp. Just give me one more step...
He obliged , and dropped at the shot. Spent brass didn't spit and I cleared the jam and chambered another round and watched for him to rise above the cover he dropped in , just in case. After a few I figured he was secure.

I went back to truck. Loaded unloaded rifle in it's case and loaded the wheel chair and drove past the doe confirming she was done. Then out to the buck , near as practical ; and he raised his head. This is not good...
Shut off truck . Went to truckbed and uncased rifle , chambered a single round and considering a mount, shot him behind the shoulder. He objected. Shucked brass again by the prior manual method and chambered another fresh round. Behind the shoulder again. Buck protested. Repeat . Repeat. Re...This is out of hand.
Lay empty rifle on case and advance on buck . Then add a full cylinder of 38's behind the shoulder. Buck gave a belligerent grunt.
This is when visions of a truck tire entered my mind.
But the buck succumbed about the time I was either going to find more ammo ,or start the truck.
(I wasn't getting near those antlers ;and I've used a knife on other deer before.)

When I pulled his hide off , he had about a six inch hole behind the shoulder. No other holes.
I may have learned something.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts