Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Come drive my road after dark and you should only have to make a couple laps here in northeast MI. I've hit 23 with my super duty. One hit me on 72 and came halfway through the driver side window. I've hit a few others in wife's vehicles. Day time pretty safe night time not so much. Depends on your deer population and how wide the ditch is I suppose. Our road is only 3 miles of ag fields and mixed hard woods to the ditch but the deer #'s are impressive. Seen at least 25 last night around 7 coming home from my other property. All within 3ft of the road edge.
If you need somebody to help thin those numbers, I wouldn't mind actually shooting another deer this year. Lmao

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
A few thoughts on the matter.

1. Kudos to you for caring not just about the deer but other drivers as well. I'm not sure petting a wild animal that is dying is comforting to the animal but I sure wouldn't criticize you for it.

2. I can't help but feel like some of you yahoos sound a bit gratuitous when describing your good deeds.

And 3. I sure hope I would learn to make an adjustment before I piled up 25+ road killed deer.

If I missed anyone, I can revisit if necessary.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Last year, around this time, but in the evening, I was in the basement and heard a gunshot. I bolted upstairs, because I knew my wife was outside wo-maning the grill. Thankfully she was safe. Turns out a 4pt was laying up on our yard after having been clipped by a car. A young sheriff gal had attempted to shoot it with her shotgun. Long story short, I had to show her how to turn on her aimpoint and tell her where to shoot the deer to put it out of it's misery! I had to make sure she wasn't using my house as a backdrop either!!! That 12 gauge slug left quite a mark on the newly paved walking trail.

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
I don't know how so many deer get hit by cars. Are people not aware of their surroundings? Not slowing down if they see deer? What is it, seriously?

I've never even remotely been close to hitting a deer. Of course I know there are situations that will be impossible to avoid, but the number of dead deer by the roads baffles me.
You are in for it now. Better start knocking on wood. Lol.

I do a lot of driving around peak deer movement time and have had 3 deer collisions in the last 5 years and have had numerous close calls. All were in areas with little shoulder with high vegetation growth so you don't see them until they are hitting your bumper.

·
Registered
23 Posts

1. Kudos to you for caring not just about the deer but other drivers as well. I'm not sure petting a wild animal that is dying is comforting to the animal but I sure wouldn't criticize you for it.

2. I can't help but feel like some of you yahoos sound a bit gratuitous when describing your good deeds.

And 3. I sure hope I would learn to make an adjustment before I piled up 25+ road killed deer.

If I missed anyone, I can revisit if necessary.
Thanks Gordon

Sent from my SM-A102U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
590 Posts
What people do when reacting to deer near the road is sometimes more scary that hitting a deer. If given the choice between hitting the deer or running off the road, hit the deer(I know we all know this). Have heard of more than a few people in my county doing this, 1 I can remember resulting in a fatality.

Lady almost killed my pops this summer when she slammed on the breaks because a deer was just standing near the shoulder. My dad dumped his bike trying not to slam in to her. Must not forget how many terrible drivers are out there. They scare me a lot more than the deers.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Its something with their vision being so different that causes us to not understand how vehicle headlights appear to them.

They do understand the HORN though. Couple taps on that usually gets them moving the opposite way.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I don't know how so many deer get hit by cars. Are people not aware of their surroundings? Not slowing down if they see deer? What is it, seriously?

I've never even remotely been close to hitting a deer. Of course I know there are situations that will be impossible to avoid, but the number of dead deer by the roads baffles me.
There's a house down the road from me with a large flowering bush at the corner of the yard next to a high fence, those deer hide behind that bush and bolt out. I've been hit on the side of the vehicle twice in that spot. Last winter coming home in a snow storm there was a doe at the bottom of the hill that couldn't get any foot traction to literally save her life and I couldn't stop :(. There are some deer that will stand there and watch cars go by and theres some deer that have no clue and natural selection takes it's course.

I think it's worse at night because deer fail to acknowledge head lights with a vehicle, they can't associate the two together.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Come drive my road after dark and you should only have to make a couple laps here in northeast MI. I've hit 23 with my super duty. One hit me on 72 and came halfway through the driver side window. I've hit a few others in wife's vehicles. Day time pretty safe night time not so much. Depends on your deer population and how wide the ditch is I suppose. Our road is only 3 miles of ag fields and mixed hard woods to the ditch but the deer #'s are impressive. Seen at least 25 last night around 7 coming home from my other property. All within 3ft of the road edge.
Guess I should have stated that I have drove the same truck since 2002 so it's not like I'm mowing them down every night! Lol. And I've been told I drive like an old man, the green bomber don't fly down the road like she used to 290 thousand miles ago!

·
Banned
3,249 Posts
Guess I should have stated that I have drove the same truck since 2002 so it's not like I'm mowing them down every night! Lol. And I've been told I drive like an old man, the green bomber don't fly down the road like she used to 290 thousand miles ago!
With a track record like yours I would just install some skewers on the front and put a freezer on the back.

Where my brother moose hunts theres guys killing to get the roadside moose. They found one last year killed the night before from a truck collision and almost had to wrestle the roadside cleanup guy for it, the guy said he used to hunt but once he started picking up the roadkill hes got more meat then he can give away.

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
Good job Mac!
@walleyemagic sounds about like Tait rd. everytime I drive it at night, crazy deer just wanting to hit the side of my truck. The grand daughter and I drive it when we want to view deer and see how the rut/chase is shaping up locally.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Macs your one fine sportsman with lots of patience. I hope the karma comes back your way ten fold for this one. I think most hunters have a love and respect for animals that is hard to explain.
Thank you. That's kind to say. I've always been VERY attached to nature (didn't eat any meat for 19 years, went to college for environmental studies, pagan, etc etc) but I will say that my 3 years as a hunter have only strengthened, and I mean exponentially, my attachment to the natural world because we as hunters experience so much more of it than the 95% that don't hunt. The beauty and unpredictability stuns me at times. It really is hard to explain, as you said, and my time as a hunter has inspired me to spend a lot more time outdoors camping, hiking (I did a 3 day solo backtracking trip of 39 miles this summer), and sometimes just watching and listening.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·

It felt like I was comforting the deer especially when cars would drive by, he would get agitated and try to get up and that was an ugly flopping experience. I would talk softly and place my hand on his neck. Was it comforting? I can't say for sure. Some of it was certainly self serving as it did comfort me and I can acknowledge that. One of the fellas above commented on controlling the head of a wild animal and in retrospect, that probably had a lot to do with it as well. I hope that I offered some comfort to the animal and I feel that I did but truthfully, I never know.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

21 - 40 of 50 Posts