Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wouldn't you know it.... this little guy was laying in the road, in a lane of traffic, after getting hit tonight. He was hit on the hip and was a goner. I stopped the Denali, put on the flashers, and made sure nobody else would hit him for the sake of the deer and the motorists. Naturally, I've got a rifle, shotgun, revolver, and currently 2 crossbows in the truck with me, but of course I'm not legally allowed to put the deer out of his misery and it was in a fairly residential area, so I waited for the cops (eventually wound up being a CO that responded).

If you've never spent 2 hours sitting in a lane of traffic while petting, talking to, and singing lullabies to a dying deer, consider yourself lucky. To say that I'm bummed out this evening is an understatement. The CO had to put 2 rounds in him - little guy was a fighter - and I have ANOTHER roadkill tag deer to deal with. I just couldn't bring myself to drag him off to the weeds (and he still had a lot of fight in his other 3 legs) and then the nice old couple across the street came out and told me about watching him grow up all year and they see him every evening, etc. This one really bummed me out. I did everything I could, short of risking my own legal standing by putting him down myself. Just thought I'd share. Video won't load but here's a few pics from a crap angle.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Fawn Terrestrial animal
Jaw Gesture Fawn Terrestrial animal Dog breed
Felidae Dog breed Small to medium-sized cats Carnivore Gesture

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
I believe most hunters including myself, do not like to see animals suffer. I hit a young deer once while driving home from Drummond on mi134. There was no damage to my truck but it broke the deers back. I knew it was going to be a while for the sheriff show up so I waited for traffic to clear and put the deer down with one shot. I know it wasn't legal but at the time I didn't care. I couldn't stand to see the animal suffer.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I believe most hunters including myself, do not like to see animals suffer. I hit a young deer once while driving home from Drummond on mi134. There was no damage to my truck but it broke the deers back. I knew it was going to be a while for the sheriff show up so I waited for traffic to clear and put the deer down with one shot. I know it wasn't legal but at the time I didn't care. I couldn't stand to see the animal suffer.

This, if it's residential area then use a knife or a hammer. I'd probably accept the punishment and ask for a jury to convict me.

I do appreciate you stopping and that you don't let them go to waste. Your freezer should be getting full.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
It's tough.. Spine shot deer are never fun, same thing

Years ago, a buddy told me his mom heard on the scanner a deer was hit in front of the house.. The officer responded to dispatch, tell them to knock on the door and ask him if he will come out and shoot it I'm along ways away.. Never a knock, but thought was kinda funny.. I'd a surely walked out there closed my eyes flinched and jerked the trigger in true Dedgoose fashion 😂

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A large fixed blade knife should get you around the hunting from the road rule. I recommend a poke to the heart lung area and leave the neck alone. Most mortality wounded deer have quite a bit of fight in them so use caution.
I didn't think about that method until after I had already called the police. I got caught in a self debate about legality vs ethics and was afraid to take the risk of an overzealous cop or a freaked out neighbor or something. Once I called, I decided that anything I did could be potentially risky since they now had all my info. The kindest thing to do, in retrospect, is exactly what you suggested before anybody gets called.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Yeah,hit a doe last year in Dec,coming bck from hunting in Hillsdale on US 12 ,messed my truck all up,while sitting in the truck debating how I’m going to make it hm,and a little angry that I didn’t even see them coming ,35+ yrs hunting and never hit one. Well this little older lady comes up and ask if she could hav the deer,I said sure,while she’s like,it’s still alive,could u help me?? Didn’t think twice about it grab knife out of backpack,proceeded to stab it in the neck,deer jump up and kicked me in the arm,still suffering and moving around,the little lady and I grab it and pulled it to the side of road,where I dispatched it,would do the same thing if similar situations arise……

Mac, your a good man for cleaning up our roads and making some table fare,good job

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your freezer should be getting full.
No joke. It makes hunting tricky. I don't NEED another deer at this point but I've only shot one this year. So, I keep telling myself that I'm only going to shoot a trophy. The catch-22 is that I get frustrated if I don't at least have shot opportunities. Lmao. It's a good problem to have.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Isn’t it something that a deer can detect danger with keen senses when your hunting them in the woods from 2-300 yds away yet not enough common sense to know when to cross a street? Baffles me.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman
Yup. I was driving my garbage truck last week on a busy 4 lane road. Because I'm up so high - a garbage truck is as tall as a semi - it's like a moving deer blind, lol. I noticed a young buck running full steam through the woods, toward traffic, so I slid over to take up both westbound lanes and slowed down myself and traffic. Sure enough, he went full bore across the street. I was able to really watch the whole thing because of my vantage point. That deer never considered looking any direction other than straight ahead and he never broke stride. My truck is huge and loud and if I hadn't seen him coming and timed it, I'd have exploded that deer.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
I don't know how so many deer get hit by cars. Are people not aware of their surroundings? Not slowing down if they see deer? What is it, seriously?

I've never even remotely been close to hitting a deer. Of course I know there are situations that will be impossible to avoid, but the number of dead deer by the roads baffles me.

·
Registered
244 Posts
You have just jinxed yourself.....For years......

I don't know how so many deer get hit by cars. Are people not aware of their surroundings? Not slowing down if they see deer? What is it, seriously?

I've never even remotely been close to hitting a deer. Of course I know there are situations that will be impossible to avoid, but the number of dead deer by the roads baffles me.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I’ve killed hit deer with both and knife and suffocation( two finger in nostrils other hand keeps mouth closed). As someone who has spent a lot of years dealing with live stock the key is that you have to control the head. Watch any animal get up from laying down, head has to go first. Control the head and you control the animal. Suffocation takes less then one minute. Stabing one may risk them getting back up and back into traffic. Cutting throat or suffocation however requires you to be 150% committed to carrying out the task at hand.
I don’t eat road kill but kudos to you for giving a **** about this little guy.

·
Premium Member
11,747 Posts

I spent 16 years in the U P traversing the roads (in my job) and only came close to hitting a deer once when traveling to serious complaint. Moved to middle of the mitten in 96 and have struck two young deer while coming home with my boat. Absolutely could not avoid them as they came from my blind side and ran directly into the side of my SUV. Have also had close encounters at night. I don't like keeping brights on with oncoming traffic as that is one of my pet peeves so I am continuously dimming as a courtesy. Unfortunately dims do not go out far enough to give drivers much of a warning.
I feel lucky to only have hit two. It would be wise not to tempt fate because your day is probably coming. As an example back in 1970 I worked the highways of Detroit and was called to a car deer accident near the Wixom exit (3 lane both ways freeway for those unfamiliar with it). This was at about 5:00 PM in October and west bound 96 was packed. Upon arrival I found that the victim was in the center lane (WB) and hit "two" deer, one a 10 point and the other a 12 point. Both deer were killed and not struck by any other cars (how I have no idea). He kept the 10 point as it had run into the side of his car where the 12 point landed directly in his windshield and obviously had more damage that the 10. Just an indication of how "ones luck" can run out.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts

Then you have never had one bolt in front of you going 55 or more. Some you can see others are in front before you know it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Come drive my road after dark and you should only have to make a couple laps here in northeast MI. I've hit 23 with my super duty. One hit me on 72 and came halfway through the driver side window. I've hit a few others in wife's vehicles. Day time pretty safe night time not so much. Depends on your deer population and how wide the ditch is I suppose. Our road is only 3 miles of ag fields and mixed hard woods to the ditch but the deer #'s are impressive. Seen at least 25 last night around 7 coming home from my other property. All within 3ft of the road edge.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts